I also like his other one British Seagull Plus 40 resurection
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
haventaclue

Re: A useful rebuild video

Post by haventaclue »

Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

A comprehensive piece of work, unfortunately with too many errors for us to endorse.

For example when measuring the bore for wear, It would be very unusual to find a difference between the top & the bottom of the bore, the only bit of the bore that is likely to show any wear, is the portion that has 2 rings rubbing against it, so you should measure the diameter with a bore micrometer, 10mm above the exhaust port.
If your any good with a calculator, it's possible to measure the bore wear with a square ended ring and feeler gauges.

To check for ring wear, check the ring gap in the unworn areas of the cylinder, & when replacing rings ensure the ring groove is very clean & undamaged.
When you slide rings up from the bottom of the piston take care that the sharp inside corners of the ring gap do not scribe two lines all the way up the piston, a feeler gauge will protect the piston when doing this.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Hmmm...

Nearly but not quite!

Gasket goo on just 1 side of the base gasket (the side against the cylinder base).
Use this "goo" sparingly at the cylinder head as well. Some will disagree with this but you're dealing with quite old cast iron attached to cast aluminium with lots of imperfections in-between and not being perfectly flat doesn't help to provide a water tight or gas tight seal where it's needed the most. Just enough "goo" is more than enough, any more is a waste and a mess.
The side of the paper base gasket that touches the crankcase i just use a light smear of 2 stroke oil and then assemble the whole lot together. Hand tight at first, then tighten down to the correct torque. If you havn't got a torque wrench, then go out and buy one. Don't skimp on this.
Plenty available at less than £100. Nothing worse than over tightening a delicate nut or bolt and have it shear off in your hands. DOH :roll:
Then you've got a whole different set of problems to overcome!

40 series follow a very similar set of procedures as do 102's with the exception of not having any cylinder head to worry about.

( if it were me in front of the camera i would have given the waterjacket a quick scrape out just to be absolutely sure but that's just me)

Other than that, not too bad as a video. The bloke seems to know what he's doing well enough.
Each to their own i suppose.

Jon
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

For a complete amatuer like me it was helpful, I did pick up on the silicone sealant and checked on here to confirm that it was just a smear rather than a coating, I know where the best info comes from, I found his description of how the piston does its job really useful
I think the idea of video tutorials is a good thing but it couldn't compete with a site like SOS for correct understanding
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I agree with Chas.

Far too many mistakes.

Ok (ish) for the average weekend shed seaguller (like most of us mere mortals) but for accurate information to appear on SOS it's a bit..... :roll:

There must be quite a fair few of these types of videos throughout youtube. Most, if not all of them have their bloopers somewhere along the lines. I must have watched pretty much all of them by now. Many varying techniques (some more eyewatering than others i must add) but as a basic WHAT TO DO if all else fails and it's past 5 o'clock on a sunday afternoon and the shops are shut, then i suppose it's gotta be better than nothing if you're really THAT stuck.

Sorry if we're being "picky" over stuff, but it's got to be correct, right down to the last micron .

As mentioned before, not knocking the guy for doing a video of how he rebuilt his seagull. Useful to some of us, but not all of us.
To an absolute beginner with no understanding of which end is which..... it's an ok (ish) video.

This was one of my worries with an earlier thread in a "how to" section of pretty basic stuff with your seagull. Most seagulls are fairly similar let's be honest. Some will need special treatment over others.
And then there's some that are pretty delicate not to mention irreplaceable. You break an old 'un and you have to fix it by whatever means necessary coz there's no parts anywhere. And that repair has to be solid enough to last another lifetime. A whole different skill set altogether.

Most of us can wield a spanner or screwdriver reasonably well without any supervision. It's more to do with the techniques or finer points. Some things don't always translate that easily. Occasionally with measuring stuff. Not everyone will have accurate equipment with which to measure certain items. Don't get me wrong, some of us do have such equipment, but not all of us.

Whatever ends up on here as an instructional video really MUST be accurate right down to the last. No mistakes anywhere.
Nothing else will do

But i enjoyed listening to his accent. :lol:
Something quite calming about it. Easy on the ear

Jon
tambikeboy

Post by tambikeboy »

flyguy wrote:For a complete amatuer like me it was helpful, I did pick up on the silicone sealant and checked on here to confirm that it was just a smear rather than a coating, I know where the best info comes from, I found his description of how the piston does its job really useful
I think the idea of video tutorials is a good thing but it couldn't compete with a site like SOS for correct understanding
Steve thinking out loud here i think I'd be putting on a bit more than a smear you will have metal caskets on your LS correct me if I'm wrong guys......
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

yes metal gaskets, I know how it comes apart now :lol: