Not Seagull, but still Great British Engineering...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Penguin1936

Not Seagull, but still Great British Engineering...

Post by Penguin1936 »

Hi guys, Im new here, have a couple of forty plus seagulls, but am currently having trouble with a different outboard..
I have an ancient Seabee 3hp outboard, (mk2. seperate pipe for the exhaust) with a seized power unit. Have managed through sheer good luck (and ebay!) to find an as new 80cc engine for it. got the old lump seperated from leg and exhaust but can't get it to let go of the drive shaft.
Does anybody out there know if this is a splined arrangement or if some other method of joining engine to shaft was used? New motor's not much of a clue as it has an adaptor which fits the crank taper. and goes to a female spline, but this may well be different to what's fitted on the original..
any thoughts greatfully received.
TIA
Ian
twostrokenut

Post by twostrokenut »

From memory , they are a thread/taper combination . Try gently tapping the drive shaft where it fits to the crank , it's normal right hand thread (again from memory)
Hope this helps.

Andy.
mrdraddy

Post by mrdraddy »

I've got a seabee 3 mk2 as well,there is a website deticated to all things seabee(www.seabeeoutboard.com)he can help with parts and advice although i've found him hard to get hold of,also "villiersparts.co.uk" can supply new parts for the powerhead as its a j.a.p unit used on all maner of ancient garden machinery!He still carrys things like gasket sets and piston rings,keep us informed of progress
regards paul