outboard

Re: Beginners design and build

Post by outboard »

Aha, mmmmmmmmmm, I've googled. :lol:
outboard

Post by outboard »

Tidy, that is easy to follow.

Would it change things if I didn't have any sealed compartments, i.e. an open seat not boxed in like HA has done? I already suggested a bosun locker, actually I wasn't going to put a closed bit on it either, I was thinking of just a shelter for storing stuff out of the way but easily accessable? Might sound daft, why bother but it makes it different to others. This boat is only for fun not for long treks. But, if putting in sealed compartments with bottles and foam is best please tell me.

Got other stuff to ask but they'll wait till I get this part clear. Hope you don't mind me asking, I'd like to know what I'm doing and get a clear idea in my head before making the final drawings.

Gerard
ps how do you use a router ..............only joking!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

A sealed compartment, can be a structure consisting of two pieces of thin ply.

In effect you are creating boxed structures at the ends of the boat.

If I remember my Structures lectures correctly, then weight for weight a boxed structure adds great strength for little additional weight.

If you have seats at the front and back of the boat then the addition of one ply component to each seat creates a closed compartment.

I would think that the most common failure of any small hull is running in to a solid object. In that case you would puncture the hull.

This puncture you could hope would be within the sealed compartment. The compartment would flood but the boat would not.

I personally will still build in compartments, then even in the worst case the boat will not dissapear without trace.

H-A
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

'Pool Noodles' - (or should that read Poo Noodles)

Is that what's produced after consuming 'Pot Noodles' ?
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Not got a swimming pool on that Fletcher then? RBT.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
outboard

Post by outboard »

Manifold or HA, as I was trying to make a cardboard model I realised the transom was a bit tricky to measure, will this be the case using plywood. I assume the structure when stitched, will have a lot of sag and movement. Is there any software where the complete plans are printable, including the transom. :?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I think that there should be very little problem working out the size of the transom.

You know the width of the boards that will join it, so it is just simple school boy geometry to draw it out either to scale or full size.

Have just found this page that gives a good beginners guide to stitch and glue technique.

http://www.bateau2.com/howto/sg101.php

Worth a read.

I built a Bateau pram dinghy about 12 years ago, as my first boat.

H-A
outboard

Post by outboard »

I'm sure you're right, just thought I'd ask. I saw with making a card model it was flimsy so just wondered what the real thing would be like.

I'm hoping others are getting good information from this thread to encourage them to design and build, that's why I'm asking questions to help us newbies to be ready for the big build.

Thanks
outboard

Post by outboard »

When I was mentioning a bosun's locker type thing, I was thinking of something like the bow of the "Poole Canoe" as seen on Charles' thread, but not being closed, maybe a hatch inside where tools and stuff could be stored out the way.