Aluminium Anybody Post #1?

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Collector Inspector

Aluminium Anybody Post #1?

Post by Collector Inspector »

My old mate in Collie (WA) is having his father's 1932 12ft clinker remade. Original plans but in Aluminium clinker construction.

Check the pics.
Attachments
Image022.jpg
Image007.jpg
Image005.jpg
Image005(71).jpg
Image004.jpg
Last edited by Collector Inspector on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Hugz

Re: Aluminium Anybody?

Post by Hugz »

Man... that's cool. Painted with a timber trimming would look a treat. Nice and light too. Be good to see finished product. How is he going to caulk it?
Collector Inspector

Every plank is being welded, inside and out all along the entire length etc. Nearly finished and he has it booked in to have baked enamal work. Yes, it will be light.

I asked him if it would be too light and not sit in the water at the correct depth as plans are for wood. He reckons he has overcome that but I have no further on that.

I am very interested in seeing how it turns out actually as the jig has already been made. Saves the big $s.

B
Collector Inspector

Here are some pics of the original boat. Plans were sold by Popular Mechanics 1932 "Build Fourty Boats".

There was a later publication that miss-represented "CHUM" as a power boat. Originally Chum was a 12ft row, sail and powered outboard ship as you see.

This is on my River where I get away and one of the pics is outside my house at the end of my jetty (Yet to be built aye).

Pics 1943.

British Brittannia 4Hp on the back.

The new version will be launched before Christmas and the original will have a Vikings funeral on the river. Many beers will be had and many thoughts of the pioneering days of our southwest will be thunk.

While the new chum will have a Yamaha 6Hp, all of our old outboards will fit the transom.

Shit me not, going to be FUN!

B
Attachments
Image011.jpg
Image008.jpg