Laser Bahia

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

ken_williamson

Laser Bahia

Post by ken_williamson »

Got a Laser Bahia, 15ft rotomould sailing dinghy & looking forward to using my Seagull Fourty Plus (1973) standard shaft. It fits in the optional rear box that you can get for the Bahia & will be great for doing a little fishing in the evening once the wind dies in Wester Ross.
http://sailmagazine.com/sail-buyers-gui ... rformance/
Seagull_1.jpg
Seagull_2.jpg
Seagull_3.jpg
Keith.P

Re: Laser Bahia

Post by Keith.P »

One thing I thought I would never see a Seagull on a new model Laser, don't think I will try it on my Laser1 (7395), she must be coming up to 40 years old soon.
I don't think It would appreciate taking any more abuse from me.
I do know of some one that shortened a Laser1 by about two feet and raced it with an outboard strapped on the back, would have like to have see that.
ken_williamson

Post by ken_williamson »

Indeed - I have a Yamaha 4-Stroke 4 HP Outboard, but it's way too heavy, so I was having a look around & remembered that when I was in the scouts (a long time ago) we had a really reliable & light seagull - so I took it from there & found a decent Fourty Plus for less then £100 ... handy & light + low low maintenance.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

It might pay you to search this site for posts about raising the height & about the right height for best running, as yours looks very deep in the water, the cavitation plate should be just under the water when in motion.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
ken_williamson

Post by ken_williamson »

Great input thanks ... if I understand correctly, if it is too deep you will get excessive exhaust back-pressure & the engine will struggle - I saw from the online forums that you can add spacers - I'll get it in the water & see how deep it goes once there are 4 adults in the boat.
Much appreciated.
Ken