Century 75 4hp on Avon Redstart

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gullible

Century 75 4hp on Avon Redstart

Post by Gullible »

I've searched the posts for advice about Segull sizes on inflatables. Here is my dilema, have a Redstart with the clip on transom bracket. From what I've read the 40+ weighs the same as a Century 75 and works well on a Redstart compared to the featherweight. I know Avon recommend 3hp max, but being as the 75 is a 4hp donk with a clutch and the same weight as a forty Plus, the advantage is the clutch, so it can be started, idled and gear engaged as sensible revs, so controllable despite its torque thrust abilities. I thought the clutch would make sensible take offs managable with minimal throttle. I know its not the preferred engine, but I don't want to cut down this long shaft or lower the transom bracket and then find it either acts as a flagpole and capsizes the dingy or sinks the Redstart or tries to climb under the transom due to torque thrust. Any advice would be welcomed, Seagulls are rather rare here in Redcliffe and this one is a nice little motor, so before I do something drastic, advice would be appreciated.
Robin Anderson

Re: Century 75 4hp on Avon Redstart

Post by Robin Anderson »

Hi there down under,
I have used a Featherweight, a 40+ and a Century 100 on my Avon Redcrest. (But not all at the same time :roll: ) Redcrest has a stern seat as pictured.
All these engines were short shaft.
I can assure you that using a 75 on a Redcrest will be a bit scary and if longshaft certainly a no go.
Firstly re shaft length - I used the depth adjusting collar on the standard shaft 40 Plus for optimum performance as it was otherwise a wee bit too long for the Avon transom board. The shorter Featherweight is exactly right for the Avon as it's dry weight of 26 lbs does not submerge the aft of the dingy. The 40 + is only about 2 lbs heavier but that little bit of weight perched right out on the transom is noticeable when you reach over to lift it on and off. On one occasion only I tried the Century 100 - never again. It was a gift from a friend and had sat unused for a decade or more. Much to my surprise it burst into life on the second pull (having been left soaking for a few weeks in WD40.) The immediate thrust very nearly flipped the dingy bows over stern and I almost went for an unscheduled swim as we charged off at about 5 knots until I could get my weight to the centre thwart and get the beastie under control. I have since used this engine to great effect on a Tinker Tramp which is not much bigger than the Avon but has a hard floor and the hard transom which provides essential bouyancy aft of the engine. The 75 and 100 models have the same 102 cc cylinder and at 35 lbs are too heavy for the Avon glued on transom bracket mounts. The depth adjusting collar was not recommended for anything above the 40+ anyway so I would forget about using it on the Avon unless you fancy swimming home. Get yourself a Featherweight or a 40 Plus and happy seagulling awaits.

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Gullible

Post by Gullible »

Hi Robin, Thanks for the advice and recommendations. Looks like a 40+, hard to find here in Brisbane in a decent condition. Will have to find someone in the UK willing to post a good one out. I knew it was a long shot about weight/trust capabilities, but had to confirm before trying to source a decent 40+ . Safe sailing. Brian
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

You are welcome Sir. Having used the 40- and 40+ on the Avon I prefer the Featherweight. I carry the gull on the stern rail when not in use and heaving it over the rail and down to the dingy and then back up again at the end of the potter is for some reason getting more awkward as the years go by - the extra few pounds of the Plus and the longer leg make it catch on the stanchions or bash the woodwork more often. At this rate by the time I am 90 I will have to winch the Gull on and off. For this sort of use the Featherweight has ample power against most tides even if it has a bit less oomph than the Plus. So I would not pass up on a wee one should one flutter by.
Fair winds and tides,

Robin
Pleiades of Birdham
MXWQ5
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Australia in the 60's & 70's was one of British Seagulls best overseas marketplace, just about every coastal town had a dealer/distributor, the majority of Seagulls will be in the same locations as they are here in the UK, Granddad's shed.

Put a wanted add in the Brisbane Times, Courier Mail saying "British Seagulls wanted dead or alive, cash paid." please let us know how many replies you get.
If you get an Olympic I want it!

I walked into someone,s shed in Toowoomba & saw 20 of them.

It's less than £250 to ship a cubic meter box to Oz, & you can get 15 Seagulls in one, no problems if it doesn't stink of fuel.

I've shipped Seagulls all over the World if it doesn't smell of fuel there isn't any, I used to carry mine as checked baggage to races in NZ through Sidney on my way to Auckland & Dunedin & back again at least 4 times.

When the baggage allowance went down to 20 kilos from 64, I had to use Fedex as it was cheaper than excess baggage.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Gullible

Post by Gullible »

Thank you both for the positive replies. Will have a shot at the Courier Mail before I commit to a UK export. Be good to know the location of the shed in Toowoomba!