Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

mooseboat

Re: Murray River Boat

Post by mooseboat »

Croweater (john) has completed 1000 kiometers
jonmac

Re: Murray River Boat

Post by jonmac »

I have just returned back to Broken Hill after spending an afternoon, evening and morning with John and Greg on their journey down the Murray. Unfortunately I haven't a suitable boat so I just used my tinny and a 15 hp outboard. I contacted John and Greg when they were near Mildura, getting closer to the NSE/SA border area and set off on Saturday morning, about a 300 km drive. They sent a text to say they were at the 944 km mark, so I decided to launch at the boat ramp at 124 km. A lot of misfortune and bad driving landed me at the 956 km mark, so it was a mad dash to catch them up. John messaged again to say they would be spending the night at about the 900 km mark. I caught up with them just as they were pulling in for the night at the 906 km mark.
We had an enjoyable evening on the river bank, discussing the trip, and the problems and acheivements that they had encountered after 16 days on the river. Early to bed wasn't early to rise, so after a leisurely breakfast, is was off again at 8.30 am.
It wasn't that far into Mildura, we arrived about 11.30, but the Lock wasn't going to be opened until 1.30 pm so John and Greg sat on the grass near the Lock and I opted for an early day. I was picked up at Mildura boat ramp and drove back to Broken Hill.
What an incredible story they will have to tell when it's all over. . . . jonmac
Attachments
Passing through Mildura, a haven for houseboats. About 886 km to the finish
Passing through Mildura, a haven for houseboats. About 886 km to the finish
Refilling the gearbox with oil, twice daily, but the same spark plug since starting
Refilling the gearbox with oil, twice daily, but the same spark plug since starting
Greg doing the breakfast dishes
Greg doing the breakfast dishes