Murray River Boat

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

croweater

Re: Murray River Boat

Post by croweater »

No photos this week had a problem with the camera, I left it at home. :oops:
Boat 1 Lazy Gull has been turned over and had several under coats then two top coats applied to its outside.
Looks good when you stand about 3 metres away and the ply is now protected if I can find a couple of helpers
we will turn it back over tomorrow.

Boat 2 has had all its joins filleted and taped its now ready for the furniture the front coaming section has been
laminated ready to fit.

Boat 3 topsides are on and it’s ready for paint this boat will be painted on the building frame the easiest way to
paint the hull.

The two trailers should be ready this week (Wednesday) and the Upholsterer has started on the interior cushions
complaining that he thinks he has under quoted. So now we have three hulls and three weeks to finish them.

Just heard from a very disappointed Kevin in Queensland the fourth boat that was starting at Yarrawonga with
us has had to pull out a hand operation has been brought forward and he is unable to cancel it. :cry: Kevin and
Beryce are already talking about doing the run next year they have a Hartley TS16 that he modified for the run
and had two Seagull Silver Century’s ready to power it.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

Almost there just a few minor glassing jobs and I can paint the back half of the interior she goes to
the Upholsterers this week to have its Dogger and Bimini Top fitted.

Note how the she is sitting lower on the trailer.

The other boats are progressing Marks boat has had the furniture fitted and Moose’s boat has had its
bottom painted.

John
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

With my experience, (running for extended periods at 10:1, and leaving the motor in the water overnight) ....Could I suggest Flat Black for the transom ;-)
Attachments
DSCF8403.JPG
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

After 2 weeks, oily marks will be a badge of honour, Rob.

I'm sorry I won't be there,I wonder if they've considered sponsoring a Pom to travel with them for luck?
I've packed the T bags, shorts, sunscreen, insect repellant, ear muffs, phrase book & BSF spanners, just in case, as several of their country men have said that the sound of my winging would drown the sound of a Seagull!

I think these hulls look very fit for task, they might have a little cross wind steerage problems, with so much windage & so little grip on the water, but I'm sure they'll master that in 10 minutes even if it means lowering the sun shades.

If there's anything your stuck for gentlemen don't hesitate to ask!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Rob by the time we reach Goolwa I won’t care if what colour it is.

Charles UK Your right the wind will be our enemy and we are bound to get a couple of bad days and
may have to park it and wait. The days usually start out dead calm and the breeze picks up in the late
afternoon just after we have set up camp (we can hope).

There was a tragic accident this week when a tinny over turned upstream from Renmark they were
doing a run from Mildura to the Murray Mouth.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-03/m ... er/4995686

I’m sure if you ever would like to do the run we could find a boat and a couple of guys to go with you.

We are thinking about creating a face book page for the Murray Seagull run.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

After today I know we have the right package for the Murray run and I’m sure we will achieve the
required 10km/h, the boat is dry and very comfortable.
Today we saw 6 knots and more many times top speed was 6.6 knots that’s over 12km/h into a stiff
breeze we averaged 4 knots (3.8-4.2), I did notice the speed alter as weight was moved its important
to maintain its long waterline so packing will be important.
All our motors have the Wipac mk11 ignition, Head and Barrel from the Century 100, Villiers carby,
every Silver Century we bought had a crook barrel and it’s not detectable until you take the exhaust off.
Busy week as we still have not tried a cav plate need to make a few also have to sort the steering and
fuel tanks out etc etc.

Damn Happy

Moose "Yeah I can handle a month of this"

Two WEEKS to go

John
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

What was wrong with the barrels ?
Which breathes best ? 100C or the Silver Century ?
Or which carby breathes best ? Villiers or the other ?
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

Impressive the size of the boat! What's the length and weight?
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
croweater

Post by croweater »

Rob Ripley: the barrels had cancer (rust) near the exhaust port.

What breaths the best: No idea I understand the Silver Century is the better performer the guys that
race them would know, there seems to be a few different barrels in the Century range.

Which carby: If I had time to sort it out an Amal Concentric or a Mikuni a mate had an Amal TT on his
Villiers racer (Tilbrook), the original carbs in good condition work fine.

I wanted four hopefully six reliable motors exactly the same; I would have liked Clutched Silver Century’s
they are around but not for sale or overpriced. What we are going to use are reliable bitza’s, if I had
another 12 months before we started I would source all the motors from England and maybe get them
checked over before shipping.

Stelios_Rjk: she is 21’10’’ 6.65 metres long weighs about 100-110kg, last week I got four mates to help
me lift it onto the trailer using a couple of slings one of them counted 1-2-3 and we all pulled bloody
thing shot up as if it was a bag of feathers thought it was going to hit the roof will only use 2 blokes
next time. :lol:

John
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

You guys are doing well boats look good. It is worth while playing with your propellors I think you will get a little more speed very easily. Set all the pitches on the blade to the same and then add or remove a little bit of pitch to see what happens. Engines will run a lot smoother. Put a wanted add in local paper and you may find enough engines. Plenty here in NZ, and cheaper then pommy motors. Non clutched Silver Centurys are Ok. I think it would be a better idea to take spare power heads instead of whole engines take up less room.
croweater

Post by croweater »

The Tinker : Taking just the power heads is a good idea. We haven’t a lot time to play with the props
will check to make sure all the pitches are the same.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

Today’s photos.

Boat one is at the trimmers with the hood bows set up you get an idea of how it will look the dodger will be lowered when under way.

Seat cushions for the three boats are ready.

Boat 2 is sees daylight for the first time and is off to get painted; the neat looking trailer has a 4’’ drop axel.

Boat 1 has been turned over its bottom has already been painted.

Inner coaming has been bent up.

John
croweater

Post by croweater »

It’s all happening.

Boat 3 has had its inner coaming and foredeck fitted and the furniture for the front of the boat has been
made ready to drop in.

Boat 2 has now been painted.

John
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

You guys are really going for it. Brilliant to see.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Boat 3 is progressing at a fast pace.

The Trimmer is doing a good job just a little slow he has had the boat a week now and said it will
be finished today, he is making three sets of everything as he goes.

Love the shape of the dodger.

John