Porta-bote

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

burt bee

Porta-bote

Post by burt bee »

Can anyone let me know if they have a porta-bote with a seagull engine on it and how does it handle,
also what type and shaft length is it, as myself and a friend of mine have just aquired a silver century with clutch and a forty featherweight + both short shafts and we would like to use them on the porta-botes we will be buying soon.
david doyle

Re: Porta-bote

Post by david doyle »

I had an early aluminum version of the porta-boat. (the transom model). They take a 15 inch leg. The only reason to own one of those boats is if you need to drag it into your trap line cabin on a narrow trail with a ski-doo. Barring that IMHO they are best avoided. You will be much,much happier with a real boat. Happiest day of ownership will be the day you find a guy who will still buy it after you list the 10 reasons you hate it. Took me a while to find that guy.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

David Your brilliant. :roll:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Ask the Kiwi's what they think, from what I've heard they're very impressed, just look at the Waikato results.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

Charles, when you buy one and decide it is a good boat I'll be interested to hear what I missed.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The first time I ever saw one was in NZ in 09 I think, it was owned by Graham, the nice man from Simply Seagulls, my views after looking at his porta loo were similar to yours.

3 days later when the Waikato race was over, even though I'd said nothing to Graham about his boat, I apologised to him for what I'd been thinking, that plastic thing went really well with his Seagull on the back.

I know the Tinker has tried one out with his motor, lets wait for his comment, as I've never been in one.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Ugly boat but goes really well with a seagull on it. A porta boat holds a couple of Waikato river records.
david doyle

Post by david doyle »

I guess it comes down to what the purchaser wants in a boat. I am surprised that convential hull manufacturers do not replicate the porta boat hull lines in a solid craft if it is that good? Again my experience is with the early Aluminum version which I suspect was heavier(?) I bought it because of the quality of construction but learned to hate it pretty quick.
CatiGull
Location: Delmar on Hudson NY USA.........3000 nm west of THe Black Country

Post by CatiGull »

They are common around cape cod for cruisers in the 17-22 foot category...too small to put the tender on deck.

Vastly superior to inflatables and that hassle. I tow a 10 foot skiff behind my 26, with the caveat that if I hit heavily seas I will have to cut the painter and buy a new one .... :roll:
Stephen
Awenke Yacht Club
New Baltimore NY
S/V Catigale
Macgregor 26X
Island 17 Sloop