Beginers Flea? Starter Bermudan?

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

THCL500J8

Beginers Flea? Starter Bermudan?

Post by THCL500J8 »

Interested in building a 12 to 16 foot moderately wide and with reasonable free board, boat for fun, on Brisbane and local rivers. The Bermudians seam moderately sea worthy. Also boats of this type seam to be used on the Waikato. (hope that's how its spelt) With some success and what looks like a lot of fun by the looks of it.
I'm hoping for something that can be built reasonably easily. Maybe plywood or planks over a frame. Or a combination. I stopped on Bribie Island (small coastal island north of Brisbane) over the weekend and got talking with a chap with a 16 foot motorized canoe, and that got me thinking.Room for me, and the boss, or the kids.

Something like i have in mind. (If it yours. Sorry to use your picture without asking)
453698116_960.jpg
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Paris H

Re: Beginers Flea? Starter Bermudan?

Post by Paris H »

First test for our new 20ft 'NZ Flea' today. Very happy so far. A tiller arm extension wouldn't go a-miss. but with all the weight down aft, she sits on the last 1.5m and rips along nicely.

I have a SolidWorks model of the full hull and also a AutoCAD file of the frames if you would like something similar.

Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Don't you just hate the Kiwi's, that's a very serious, nice looking hull!

Ask him for the full data sheet, I'll bet it won't show up on radar, stealth technology!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

How fast will it go with a Seagull driving it? Looks like a great boat 8)
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

She goes pretty well with the silver century on the back, and planes easily with one on board, but two up and the dynamic changes a lot. We’ll still have our work cut out to match the good 20’ guys, and reliability is still an unknown, we just know that we we’re faster than with the 1st Paris. Halving the hull weight has helped offset what we know is a slightly under developed engine, so fingers crossed we’re not too far off the pace. She’s on the narrow-ish end of the scale, 870mm at the widest point but happy with the stability.
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Thanks for the Very kind offer, anything you could give me would be a great help.
Just send me a PM with what you need from me.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
bercan

Post by bercan »

The screaming Flea was designed here,I may know someone with the lines to it,had one myself....small cooler,tippy,cant pea,wet....did I say tippy and SMALL cooler.So with 2 drunk people in that thing,plus fuel,cooler,life jackets and beer with a sport(non ting ting) it becomes a fun boat!
Our race is 42 miles long and we deal with everything out there.Im into comfort and a sweet running engine.A dinghy is my choice for the race,you can stand all day long,pea properly,move about,go for spouter award and the women love it.If you want to see some speed,come here and check our race,mind you I do hear you guys are pretty crazy yourselfs!
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

THCL500J8 wrote:Thanks for the Very kind offer, anything you could give me would be a great help.
Just send me a PM with what you need from me.
I'll send you a set of files tomorrow. She has had a bit of a tweak from the file, we made the transom 30mm narrower (860mm) and the file does not show how we cut the bow off! But it will get you very close. I guess the main advantage of this boat is that it is super super light. So could explain why she looks so different in the water.
Attachments
Paris 2a.JPG
Paris 2.JPG
20140309_105809.jpg
20140309_105749.jpg
bercan

Post by bercan »

Thats not a flea hull,looks alot like this
Attachments
IMG_0586.JPG
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

Check out that paint job! Awesome!

Got a set of plans or profiles for us? Without seeing an underwater shape, to me they look pretty similar, we just dropped 50mm off the freeboard and put a different bow shape on. Otherwise, much of a much-ness. Just we've used different material.
bercan

Post by bercan »

there are a few foam cored hulls out there but most were stitch and glue with ply. here is my old flea after a new paint job and many owners. that other boat..thats not paint..thats a sticker! the chrome boat is cool..wish I had a pic of that!
Attachments
IMG_0617.JPG
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

I think it's cool that these guys put so much effort into the look of their boats. Ours is just going to be matt black with gold sign writing. Proper launching and testing for Paris 2 next weekend. All going well she'll be fast and we can finally take Paris 1 down to her new captain down in Tauranga.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
bercan

Post by bercan »

We have a doctor here that built a carbon fiber toothpick and did the course in under 2 hours.Thats pretty fast when you think about it.Good luck with your ride.I will try and find the lines for the flea if you would like.
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

I think I have seen a picture of the toothpick boat. Wasn't it red? I'd be really interested to see a genuine Bermuda flea drawing. I understand that they are built for quite a different purpose to what we're doing in NZ, but I like the boats so there's some interest there for me.
bercan

Post by bercan »

I will make a call and find them for you.Here is the toothpick Im talking about and another flea.
Attachments
IMG_3404.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG