Beginers Flea? Starter Bermudan?

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

THCL500J8

Re: Beginers Flea? Starter Bermudan?

Post by THCL500J8 »

bercan wrote:there are a few foam cored hulls out there but most were stitch and glue with ply. here is my old flea after a new paint job and many owners. that other boat..thats not paint..thats a sticker! the chrome boat is cool..wish I had a pic of that!

Any information about foam cored hulls would be most interesting.
Made some vacuum bagged aircraft parts in the early 90's, It could be an interesting way to build a very light boat.
Use blue foam cut it out with a hotwire rig, Glue the bits together then skin it in glass and vac bag it.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

Paris 2 is an 8mm closed cell foam core boat. 60kg/m3 foam is about as light as you can go before the skins dent too easily. We've put 140g of prepreg carbon on each side, with extra reinforcing down aft where most of the standing and kneeling will be done. I guess you could go lighter still by using a 48kg/m3 Nomex core, but for us the expense and complexity of manufacture was high enough just with foam!

This is the core product we used: http://www.gurit.com/gurit-corecell-m-2.aspx
Attachments
P2.jpg
bercan

Post by bercan »

That thing looks badass...well done!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Is that tubular device between the navigator's legs a home made fuel tank or one of those vacuum penis enlargers? (that could be a real money spinner in NZ as from what I've heard the demand could be very high).

P.s. How much are they & would you ship?

Is the Kiwi reducer removable so that Poms can use it?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I hate to have to say this Adrian!

That is a very impressive bit of Kiwi high tech, high quality workmanship!

Beautiful.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Paris, a truly spectacular piece of work you have there. So whats next Nomex honeycomb with carbon fiber tubes, for framing. You have certainly set the standard.
I had been thinking maybe C-Flex over a cheap timber former, and light frame from ply like a canoe. And some foam for decking, and flotation.

I'm, going to need another motor to by the look of this, as i only own a 102+ and there not built for speed.

MMM, i wonder what the world speed record is in the stock standard 102plus category. LOL

Maybe i need to start a new race class, for the barge pusher motors. Could be fun.
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

I think the risk outweighs merit in going too much lighter. There could be a couple of kg to be saved in doing a higher quality job of the same process again, but in going lighter than 20kg, I'm thinking that the hull skins will be too prone to puncture. And we'd look pretty silly if we went through the hull trying to get into it.

The black tube is the communal catheter reservoir. It’s important to stay well hydrated during such a long race and that has consequences. I’m not game to stand up every 30 mins to and a leak in that boat, and as the apparent wind will be well forward of the beam, the likelihood of having to piss into the wind is not an option for either myself or the guy sitting directly behind me. Since James and I are good friends, we’ll plumb in together and pump it all forward as trimming ballast.

She's a nice looking boat, but you'd be a fool to put any money on us. While I have the composite side fairly under control I'm pretty green on the mechanical side. I don't know a lot about engines or props of any type! I have some basic knowledge thanks to many a Skype call with Mr Large, and I've read a book about 2 stroke motors. So our ultimate performance will be pretty much down to luck, fortune and not overshooting the finish and ending up in the ocean! If we don’t make fools of ourselves I’ll be content!

THCL500J8, sorry I will get you some template files soon, bit on with work and film projects and boat building at the moment!
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

Done at last! With some light weight paddles in for good measure.
Attachments
20140317_200234.jpg
20140317_200150.jpg
Michael

Post by Michael »

Here are a couple pictures of a Bermudian Flea. They are about 20' foot long and carry a small amount of "V" all the way to the transom
Attachments
Bermuda Flea.jpg
Bermuda Flea 2.jpg
Michael

Post by Michael »

The Bermuda flea design is years (decades) old. Many here are making their own boats, that whilst similar in design to the original flea, are slightly different, and each builder pretty much does his own thing. This one here is 24" and there is no "V" at the transom, which makes it a bit more stable than the original Flea boats
Attachments
boat build 2.jpg
boat build 4.jpg
Modified Bermuda Flea.jpg
Paris H

Post by Paris H »

THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Looks like its all running nicely, excellent work. Looks like i need to start rounding up drawings are info for Bermudan, waikato and other flea's and start building.
Paris H

Post by Paris H »