Humdinger

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

bercan

Humdinger

Post by bercan »

This here is a Pitcher dinghy,this will be my blade for the race.I sold this thing 14 years ago and now its back in my hands needing some love.Plans are to fix her up and sell it.I love wooden boats but I hate owning them,have had a few and the only thing that works on a wooden boat is its owner.
Attachments
now...what should I run???
now...what should I run???
this is coming off....
this is coming off....
even came with a mount...Thanks Charlie!
even came with a mount...Thanks Charlie!
ready to get naked
ready to get naked
Charles uk

Re: Humdinger

Post by Charles uk »

Explain to all what it's built of & show a pic of a tree so readers can understand the constraints these local boats were built under, educate us.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
bercan

Post by bercan »

Let me get some things sorted and I will...didnt really think anyone would be interested,will give it a shot tonight
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Please , any information you can share with us about local seagull boats and motors is not only very interesting, it helps us all enjoy this craziness even more.
I cant wait for the low down on the Bermudian Flea .
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
bercan

Post by bercan »

Well Ive been cleaning it up removing bottom paint and seeing whats going on with some of the planking.Pitcher dinghies have been known for screwed up planking,some of his planks cup.Its weird as sometimes it adds a chine to the boat.Im going to replace 4 planks on this thing to bring back its hull shape.These boats are built with white oak frames with pine planking,bermuda cedar was used for transom,keel,stem, knees and all floor timbers,planks were fastened with copper nails and bent over on inside.Pitcher built a bunch of these 14 foot dinghies and few 16s,to date and from what I know there are 7 left,including a 16 footer.Here are a few pics from yesterday
Attachments
IMG_4880.JPG
IMG_4882.JPG
IMG_4876.JPG
IMG_4875.JPG
bercan

Post by bercan »

Here are two more.
Attachments
this was my old dinghy Happy Snapper.
this was my old dinghy Happy Snapper.
this a 16' pitcher dinghy
this a 16' pitcher dinghy
bercan

Post by bercan »

found pics of 2 more.
Attachments
994811_10201385932829719_588826914_n.jpg
7820_1235863826755_3009040_n.jpg
bercan

Post by bercan »

Well I hate to say this,but this dinghy is rotten.She will never be a proper wooden boat again.To much money and work to rebuild whats there.Every frame is totally rotten from where the floor boards started down to the keel,every single one.The only thing holding this POS together were the floor boards,this boat would have sunk if someone stepped on the planks with out the floor boards.

So....my game plan now is to glass outside of the hull with biaxle cloth.Flip the beast,,tear out every frame leaving only the planks.Glass the inside,replace a few frames with wood or foam,glass them in for strength,thinking of putting in a raised floor for self bailing purposes.This thing wont need a rising anymore,so it will be clean and easy to take care of.

This is a shame this thing was let go like this,Im pissed right off! This is why I hate wooden boats,people neglect them and let them rot right in front of their eyes,thankfully Im handy with the fiberglass.She will be sweet and simple,easy to clean and pretty as hell.

I am re naming it...Bumstinger......my ass is hurting from this purchase.Will post some photos when the sun decides to show itself.
Stelios_Rjk

Post by Stelios_Rjk »

That's sad. Add an antirott substance if there is any before glassing.

Good luck!
I love the 10600/145 turns!!!
bercan

Post by bercan »

here is some rot for show and tell
Attachments
IMG_4889.jpg
IMG_4890.JPG
IMG_4888.jpg
IMG_4884.JPG