A Boat for the the mighty Plus or the Titanic part Two

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

THCL500J8

A Boat for the the mighty Plus or the Titanic part Two

Post by THCL500J8 »

I own a 23 foot dory and enjoy it and sail it quite a bit. i even bought it its own 102, because the motor well was to small to allow the mighty 11 inch prop of the plus to enter, with out rebuilding.
Its commented on, every time its on a boat ramp. That's one of the joys of owning a seagull boat. Everyone wants to look and ask, or tell a story, when i was younger it used to annoy me a bit cause i wanted to get something done or fish. Now is part of the trip. And its brought me friends and bits of motors, old spares and now another boat, a half brother for the Minnow. wife named the dory after the boat on Gilligan's island.

Well a few weeks back i way out in the boat with the wife, me sailing her knitting, and when we returned, she went to back the trailer in for me to run the boat onto it. That's an advantage of a big flat bottom boat you motor onto the trailer and just tow it out. Pisses of everyone else on the ramp, and you hear the wives and girlfriends say "why cant you do that with your boat?"
Make my wife proud. And an old chap came out to me with his grand kids and asked if the kids could have a look at the boat. We chatted and he told me ha had a dory allmost the same as mine but it was beyond him now and it had been sitting in the back for a while now.His late wife had sailed and he kept it for her. So i loaded him and the kids in the boat and we went for a short run.

Monday i get a call from his son saying dad had a wonderful time and would we like to pop round he had some old boat stuff he wasn't going to use anymore.His mother died 10 years ago and it was just sitting were it was left parked under a tree.
When i arrived, he took me to the garage and showed me on old 8 hp Mariner, made about 1972 even older than mine. But that wasn't the best under the trees looking very said was a 20 foot dory, the same shape and style as mine. He told me that in the 70's an Australia boat magazine had published plans to a series of Grand Banks style dories and he had build with his late brother.
His brother had the motor and the sail rigging was never finished.

Well you know how this go's I was so sad there i had to take in, and as i have a trailer that fits on there was no option.
The woodwork isn't good but it not hopeless, but the motor well is rotten and so is most of the stern, so im thinking of building anew plywood transom just infront of the existing well and just cutting it away. Leaving a flat stern. Suitable for mounting one or multiple seagulls. Maybe a 102+ and a 102 as an axillary.

So if you have any ideas or thought on the transom design and anything else for the Minnow 2 join in. Hang on i now have a 20 foot boat, thats the racing class. oh god no.

stern 1.jpg
stern 2.jpg
stern 3.jpg
stern 4.jpg
stern 6.jpg
So as you can see there is a lot to do, but i think it might be worth the trouble, So if you have any ideas or advice, chime in. And yes i have already been offered a can of petrol and a box of matches by the plumber next door. But he did make me a nice new water pipe for the plus, so he gets one free one.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
croweater

Re: A Boat for the the mighty Plus or the Titanic part Two

Post by croweater »

THCL500J8 Nice find and story can’t see why you couldn’t put a new stern on the shortened hull, this is what I would do.
Brace the shell before you grab the saw.
Set Transom/Stern at an angle to suit the Seagull mainly for looks.
Glue 2 sheets of ply to make the Transom 10plys better than 5ply for same thickness.
Tape seams.
Fit Transom Knee and 2 Quarter Knees.
Fit rear seat, box it in for floatation and to tie it up.

Read this http://www.westsystem.com.au/west_syste ... t_building

And buy or borrow a copy of this: Wooden Boat Renovation by Jim Trefethen if it’s still available.

Have a good look before you start as there’s got to be Rot elsewhere, my experience is limited hope others have some input.

John
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Thanks John; That's the info i was after. Downloaded the WEST info. And the local library has the book. How lucky can you get.
I have some leftover form ply, used for concrete work in 18mm and 25mm and was thinking of using this. two layers of the 18, with a small pad of 25 for the motor to sit on. Though i have been thinking of making the motor mounting area wider so two motors could be mounted. one central and one of to the side. Sort of an air and a spare. I like the seat box idea, will make it very strong,but i will need to run a tube through it for the drain bung in the stern. But it looks like were on track. Something for me to get onto in the new year.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

THIS is going to Interesting indeed!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

Argh ! dont cut it, just remove that plate so the motor can tilt up.
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

Sadly that wont work, but it would be so easy. The back of the motor well is the bulkhead for the sturn section and contains the foam flotation, that has been waterloged for the last ten or so years. rotting everything it has touched.
Rob Ripley

Post by Rob Ripley »

I understand ... I just hate to cut a boat up .... but when they have reached the end of their life ... its out with the saw.
Attachments
DSCF8427.JPG
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

I know how you feel, im wondering if, its worth the effort. Just been into boatcraft in Brisbane. Timber, glue, paint, sealer and screws, comes to about $500. There is no such thing as a free wooden boat is there. can i borrow the saw, i would have the back off in no time with that weapon. I think its still worth it, at that price. And as apparently you can never have to many seagulls, I guess another 20 foot boat wont kill me or the wife.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

What ever happened to this?? the photos are gone now but did you ever get the project through to completion
AJ
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

This got side tracked,but with the arrival of the EFNR, its moving forward.I had some motors out sorting what Evelyn would take to Bribie this weekend with the guides.(daughter, nieces, etc)
Usual story, The Ford wagon, big sail dory, small yamaha 4hp. can be wife lifted, but i drop it in the well before she go's.And fill the tank.
And i was test fitting the EFNR in the well and i put it back on the tinny when i was done, Its to long she says, yes it is i said. "
I might have to shorten it, so i can use it or build another boat."
"But you have three". and you have seven motors, "yes but only one wife", said I hoping to get out of this safely.
Why don't you fix the back of that old boat the nice old men gave you, and put your engines on that.
Me and the kids can use the big boat,and you will have something to play with your engines on.

So i have authorization from the boss to work on the boat, a moment in the history of man.
She even suggested that i make a wooden thingy to stick on the back to make it taller so the bigger motor could go on.
Because she didn't like me going out in the bay with one motor.Because all the other boats had two.

So at the behest of the minister for war and finance, i'm in need of a transom design suitable for long and short motors, Seagull and otherwise.

Lucky Me. LOL.
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

so, like the nice old man we await the progress report!!

Wonder if any one will call me a nice old man? may be one day, when I get really old!!

AJ