Another boat for the Murray River

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

erle bartlett

Another boat for the Murray River

Post by erle bartlett »

I have been reading the Murray River Boat thread below here and am contemplating building a similar boat myself for a similar trip. Then I keep looking at the Seagull Trunnell plans and wondering about doing a trunnell conversion on the basic Russell R design that they used. I can see value in bringing the motor forward from the stern in terms of boat balance and loading and I don't think converting the stern into a trunnell would be a huge problem.
Does any one else have any ideas or comments that might influence my decision?
croweater

Re: Another boat for the Murray River

Post by croweater »

Hi Erle, Don’t understand why you would want to change either design the Russell R is good the way it is if you want a Poole
Canoe (Trunnell) build one the boats look similar in breadth and length but I think the Poole canoe has more rocker
than the Russell R (can’t find any offset tables for the Poole Canoe). I think you will be disappointed with the result,
less interior space, noisier, motor would need to run deeper etc.

The Russell R is a nicer boat with a 6 or 8hp on the back are you planning to use a British Seagull?

You should come over for the Seagull Nationals and take the “Russell R” for a run.

Another OZ Seagull Group member has been thinking about building the Poole canoe or something similar what do you think Rob?

John
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

croweater wrote: Don’t understand why you would want to change either design.
Beams are the same; 5'8", but the RR is nearly 2' longer, giving that extra bit of room for a long trip.
I'd be using a mix of old and new, Seagulls and a 5hp Tohatsu, so the power available will be more suited to the PC than the RR.
One had hoped that a hybrid might give one the best of both worlds. A pity I can't build 3 boats, RR, PC and hybrid and compare the 3.
croweater

Post by croweater »

Erle, I can’t offer a lot of advice as I have never seen a Poole Canoe does anyone on the forum have the Offset Table
for the Poole Canoe or has anyone used one. The steering may be better with the motor forward but I the fumes would
be annoying. Side by side I don’t think the speed would be that different the Russell R has a longer waterline may have
the edge loaded. At nearly 22’ long the Russell R rows OK, stand up rowing.

If I was to use the Russell R again on the next Murray Run (2017) and I can’t see why I wouldn’t (unless I decide to use
an old inboard) she would have a few modifications some of them are going to be done after the Goolwa Wooden Boat
Festival this year.
Forward Steering
Strengthen and modify the Stern and Transom so a bigger motor could be fitted
Increase the size of the Skeg add a couple of strakes or
Fit a small Swing Keel
Work out how to mount a large solar panel (for the fridge)
Cover for the motor they are a noisy bird

I prefer the lines of the Russell R

Interior layout at night infill's made two double beds

John
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Here is a link to the poole boat.

http://intheboatshed.net/2009/12/26/poo ... e-harbour/

H-A
erle bartlett

Post by erle bartlett »

croweater wrote: The steering may be better with the motor forward but I the fumes would
be annoying.
Side by side I don’t think the speed would be that different the Russell R has a longer waterline may have
the edge loaded. At nearly 22’ long the Russell R rows OK, stand up rowing.

after the Goolwa Wooden Boat
Festival this year.
Forward Steering
Strengthen and modify the Stern and Transom so a bigger motor could be fitted
Increase the size of the Skeg add a couple of strakes or
Fit a small Swing Keel
Work out how to mount a large solar panel (for the fridge)
Cover for the motor they are a noisy bird

John
I understand the shape of the cover on the trunnell provides a Venturi effect for removing exhaust gasses. That would be a plus.

I don't think speed is going to be an issue for me, I'm more concerned with a bit of extra space. The layout you have for your RR looks very camping comfortable. How did you cope with all the canvas through the day? Was it annoying at all?

I wouldn't mind getting to Goolwa, but will need to be in Port Fairy with a load of gear two weeks after. With the round trip for each at 2500klms it is probably pushing things a bit to do both this year.

Thanks for your posts, food for thought!
croweater

Post by croweater »

Erle, “The layout you have for your RR looks very camping comfortable” It was very comfy a lot of thought went it e.g. the
seat height is the same as our garden chairs.
“How did you cope with all the canvas through the day?” Easy just rolled the sides up the section over the motor rolled up
the windscreen if we didn’t need it came off and rolled up and the centre section of the dodger rolled up. The dodger could
be dropped it was designed so it would drop into the boat the Bimini is also able to fold back into the boat but we left that
up for the whole trip shade is a must have on the Murray. Infill's were just stacked on a couple of the seats we could’ve stowed
them in a forward compartment if we wanted the extra space.
“Was it annoying at all?” No the pluses outweigh the negatives the only two things that were a pain was getting in and out
through the dodger usually when we came in or left the bank and forward vision when in snaggy areas (just stood up if I was
worried). We had originally planned to run with just the Bimini up, we soon realised up or down made no difference to our
cruising speed side wind was a pain at times. Setting up for camping and packing up only took a few minutes after tying up
usually side on chairs came out, stove and cooking gear, spade and the dunny roll, sides dropped down infill's put in then we
just rolled our swags out. If I was going to use a modern motor think I would’ve picked a beamier design.

John