Any one have infomation on this sort of thing?

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

THCL500J8

Any one have infomation on this sort of thing?

Post by THCL500J8 »

11406986_10152841924537102_8116911291204482876_n.jpg
I'm think of a new summer toy boat, the old one has been claimed by every visitor we get and the kids, and my mother in laws wheel chair fits it to.

I'm not thinking of racing, there is nobody in Brisbane that's that mad. They seam to have a good turn of speed will take a little rough water,
so i though it might be suitable for the rivers around here and trips into the bay on a calm day.

So if you have drawings or ideas or pictures or have built one feel free to join in.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
NaughtyBits

Re: Any one have infomation on this sort of thing?

Post by NaughtyBits »

THCL500J8,

The majority of the boats like the pic you posted are in the 24ft range, built for our over 16ft class. A few of us participate in the under 16ft classes with shorter, wider versions. Most are 1/4" ply (stitch & glue) with builders adjusting panel widths & angles forward according to their own ideas about needing to displace a minimum of 2 people, 5 gallons of fuel, the motor & usually, enough alcohol for a party of 6.

I'm inexperienced with the longer boats, but essentially you're looking at long tapered panels that (on the bottom) are usually wider at the stern, so that you end up with a transom in the 30" range (some go less, some go more) and somewhere around 10-12" of vertical height at the bow. The side panels are sometimes straight, or sometimes tapered either way according to who's building it, how much flare, how high they want the bow (raked or plumb), etc.

If you're not building for racing, you might want to be more conservative and make a few changes to the basic concept for comfort/stability/usefulness.

Eg. Most local versions would be considered underbuilt for frequent use and can be pretty tippy - with just enough freeboard to ensure you spend most of your time soaking wet without sinking, no seats, etc... primary concerns usually being minimising weight & windage. Small adjustments in dimensions aside, where you push out the panels for more bouyancy as you 'glue' makes a difference, too.