"Instant Boats"

Talk about and buy or sell boats that are suited to Seagull outboards here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

deacon bruce

"Instant Boats"

Post by deacon bruce »

A plug for the "Instant Boat" series of books by Harold "Dynamite" Payson. I have built a number of these boats- plywood, no lofting or jigs, go together like model airplanes. Many boats suitable for Gulls. My favorite- I have built 2 of them- is the Skimmer in "Build the New Instant Boats" by Harold Payson. 2 sheets of plywood, seaworthy even though flat bottom, can accept up to 15hp. Worth a look.
AusAnzani

Re: "Instant Boats"

Post by AusAnzani »

here's the link to the "Power Designs" http://www.mcssl.com/store/hhpaysoncomp ... ng-designs

Are you able to post any photos of your tubs Deacon?

Regards,
S
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
deacon bruce

Post by deacon bruce »

Unfortunately due to my stupidity and a wife uninterested in either boats or motors, I have no pics. However, here is a good place to start:

http://www.instantboats.com/

These are all flat bottom and easy to build.

I can vouch for this fleet, having built a number whose study plans are someplace in the books published by Payson:

Teal. 12 ft. double ender; sails and rows well. My first building attempt. Beautiful lines. 2 sheets 1/4 inch ply.

Elegant Punt. Built 3, sold first two. 8 feet. 2 sheets 1/4. Sail, power, row. Powered two with Silver Century. Overpowered.

Zephyr: 18 foot, narrow double end. lateen rig. Good in calm to moderate sea.

June Bug. 14 foot, narrow. 4 sheets 1/4 ply. Sails and rows well. Built 2

Skimmer. "Poor Man's Whaler." 8 by 4 foot. Two sheets 1/4 ply. Motor only. Built 2. Used with Johnson 6 hp and Silver Century. Payson says it can take up to 15 hp and has pic showing that.

Am going to try Silver Century again on Elegant Punt.
mark1305

Post by mark1305 »

deacon bruce wrote:Unfortunately due to my stupidity and a wife uninterested in either boats or motors, I have no pics. However, here is a good place to start:

http://www.instantboats.com/

These are all flat bottom and easy to build.

I can vouch for this fleet, having built a number whose study plans are someplace in the books published by Payson:

Teal. 12 ft. double ender; sails and rows well. My first building attempt. Beautiful lines. 2 sheets 1/4 inch ply.

Elegant Punt. Built 3, sold first two. 8 feet. 2 sheets 1/4. Sail, power, row. Powered two with Silver Century. Overpowered.

Zephyr: 18 foot, narrow double end. lateen rig. Good in calm to moderate sea.

June Bug. 14 foot, narrow. 4 sheets 1/4 ply. Sails and rows well. Built 2

Skimmer. "Poor Man's Whaler." 8 by 4 foot. Two sheets 1/4 ply. Motor only. Built 2. Used with Johnson 6 hp and Silver Century. Payson says it can take up to 15 hp and has pic showing that.

Am going to try Silver Century again on Elegant Punt.
I too am a fan and builder of Bolger's Instant Boats. In chronological order and over an nine year period starting in 1980 I built Surf, a 15 1/2 ft version of Teal fitted for rowing and sailing and used extensively in Miami, FL and Mobile, AL. Then Scooner, a 23 1/2 ft gaff rigged sharpie schooner powered by a 2 hp Evinrude fitted into a clever stern well. Used extensively in Mobile and Key West, FL after transferring there. (USCG for 20 years). In quick succession over 1988-1989, the Skimmer, powered by a 9.8hp electric start Mercury and The Handy 10 1/2 ft Pointy Skiff powered by the trusty old 2 hp Evinrude and oars. Both of these saw good usage here in central Florida until I passed them on to new owners when returning to shipboard duty based out of South Carolina.

Skimmer and the 10 1/2 ft Pointy Skiff are both good candidates for Seagull power. Scooner would need a larger motor well to take a Seagull. It was specifically designed to use the very small 2 hp Evinrude/Johnson motors. And Surf had a decked over stern with no place for a motor.

Hhmmm.... I still have the title to the long gone Skimmer. If I only could find time to build another one just to try the Forty Plus on it. Oh well, it will be great on the sailboat (as soon as a decent stretch of weather without thunderstorms returns).