BASS STRAIT CROSSING - MARCH 2016

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Nudge

Re: BASS STRAIT CROSSING - MARCH 2016

Post by Nudge »

thats a real bummer about the boatbeing "sick". I hope something comes up soon for you, Good luck with it.
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
croweater

Post by croweater »

Bad luck finding Seahorse is not suitable, there's an old couta boat for sale on Gumtree might be worth a look.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/margate/ ... 1092312795

John
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Thanks John I had not seen it but am now on to it. Its a boat that from the photos could be used and the plus is its floating!!

Bit of work I guess but they are good sea boats. Looks like it is about 1940-50. no info yet till I get to look at her.

AJ
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

at that price I was too late, by Tassie time this afternoon she had sold "best dressed first in!!" never got to look at her even. lost a few gulls like that to... never mind we will keep searching

AJ
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Change of tack... this trip is about the gulls and their reliability, not a beautiful traditional dingy, so I have now found a West Coast Cray boat. Its a non descript 60's built fibre glass boat with double hull for buoyancy and a central wet box providing inboard ballast and stability. being fibre glass of a traditional shape it is practically worthless down here as everyone wants either wood, "tin" or chine fibre planning hulls. So we will strap a couple of engines on and give it a run before preparing it for a long run, probably around Bruny again.

Being fiberglass it is a fraction of the weight of the boats I have been looking at and will sit quite differently in the water giving it potentially more speed. It is a compromise between Charles ideal long narrow hull and the heavy Cuta boats so it will surf easily when the opportunity arises and will exceed hull speed in the right conditions.

I ll post a few photos tonight. (for the record!!)

AJ, back in the game
THCL500J8

Post by THCL500J8 »

WaHoo. great news.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
croweater

Post by croweater »

West Coast + Cray boat + Fibreglass = sounds ideal.

John
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

She is rough, unnamed but sound.
Couple of "before" photos. She will be going in the water for preliminary testing in the next week. Hope to have some trial data from the that test shortly.
OA length 15ft; WLL14'6"; beam 5'9" bit smaller than I had originally wanted but with some modification will be comfortable enough.
She was never fitted with an inboard. Modifications to the wet box will provide fuel tankage.

AJ
Attachments
20151106_172751.jpg
20151106_172658.jpg
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

one more: Still having trouble uploading sometimes no problem but usually fails :mrgreen:
Attachments
20151106_174247.jpg
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

That looks like a decent boat, perhaps you should consider extending the keel a tad to help with stability, also a small cuddly on the front, to at least allow shelter when having a kip?

If you were not so far away I'd volunteer to join you!
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

You'd be the first!! every one around my neck of the woods thinks I am completely bonkers... including the guy who has given me his boat to do it with.

yes there will be a few changes but first testing, as-is, to finesse a few things. The forward deck will be replaced a little bigger and higher. The ford section will then have a canvas cover fitted to provide limited protection.

a 100 litre fuel tank to be installed and more comfortable seating just aft of the wet box for steering and navigating. The navigation and compass will be installed above the wet box. So the plans are firming.

AJ
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

how much fuel will you need to carry, or will you take fuel from a support boat?
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

The WSPC used 2.01 litres per hour on the round Bruny run so 76 litres should do it but I shall carry 100 litres plus a 20 litre contingence in a separate tank. I want to be 100% self sufficient nothing will be taken from the support vessel unless an emergency.

AJ
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Yrrrrr

A ship of sweet lines She Be without a doubt.

The ship-rite pleased He will be for shoorrrrr.

Tell me, is a name for the hulk ye be considerin.

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

Your right B hope its not a case of "Emperors Cloths" but she is sound and I think I can get her ship shape arrr Jim Lad, a hulk she is, but a good one.. Name I've known a few. Perhaps "Haliaeetus" driven by gulls to soar with the eagles

AJ