Avon/Wiltshire canal venue

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

headdownarseup

Avon/Wiltshire canal venue

Post by headdownarseup »

As per the title i've been doing a bit of snooping around and just might have stumbled across another venue to try out.
This might not suit everyone however as it's a bit "out in the sticks".
I shall be doing a recce tomorrow morning by pushbike along the tow path to see if it's suitable for small craft.
Looks good on google earth with a few bankside pubs along the way, plenty of opportunity for "toilet breaks" for the ladies, no locks for around 10 miles, 2 aquaducts which travel over the main Avon river and plenty to look at along the way.
By the looks of things, there's a free car park with ample parking but i can't see a slipway (hence the recce).

I'll keep you updated

Jon
headdownarseup

Re: Avon/Wiltshire canal venue

Post by headdownarseup »

Well, after a saddle sore couple of hours this morning on the bike..... perhaps this is best for inflatables. Still not entirely sure if there is a slipway further along so will have to investigate a bit more next weekend perhaps.

Car parking sadly is not free (£2.10 for up to 2 hours) and access to the water is fairly limited. Having said that if you dont mind a small trek from the main car park along the cycle path (around 800 yards or so) i get the feeling that a very quick get away is in order.
I can see small fold up sack trucks being used to haul equipment to the bankside in one trip.
Total distance cycled was just shy of 10 miles, no locks to negotiate along the way, 2 aquaducts to go through (spectacular views from on top).
A pub at about the halfway mark (an old tudor building right on the bankside for very easy access) serves some very nice food and a welcomed pint or two of something :P . There's also a tea room at the end of the second aquaduct with toilet facilities for those that may need them.
Plenty of long glides with overhanging trees, very picturesque. There's a few moored canal boats at various places along the way with more than enough room for passing, but overall it's fairly quiet really.
There is a hire boat place close to the car park so expect the odd hired craft out on the water too.

Once my backside has resumed normality again, i will think about another recce from the other end.

For those of you that might be interested in this as a possible venue, drop me a message to discuss further.
But definitely a venue for inflatables really, unless i manage to find a slipway at either end i'll keep you posted.

Jon
Attachments
a typical view of the tow path with long glides and very little traffic.
a typical view of the tow path with long glides and very little traffic.
the Cross Guns pub at the end of the second aquaduct makes for a welcome sight.
the Cross Guns pub at the end of the second aquaduct makes for a welcome sight.
some of these seagulls work hard for a living. i came across this one attached to a work boat.
some of these seagulls work hard for a living. i came across this one attached to a work boat.