Seagull Race Lerryn 2017

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

DSC_8624.JPG
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Robin Anderson

Re: Seagull Race Lerryn 2017

Post by Robin Anderson »

Ah, faffling about with images I managed to get this one on. Those are not my legs, needless to say.......
Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

DSC_8572e.jpg
Ah, I think this was the winner.
Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Robin - according to my instant research, you click your post edit, then click on attachment at the bottom which connects you to your computer download or pictures file which you can then attach.

I think.

But I know there is a very knowledgeable and friendly and helpful reader out there who will want to help you to help me to see pics of me and her in straw boaters in our white skiff . . .

Andy
Last edited by rosbullterier on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Robin - you've done it!!

The chap (the only entrant) in the swimmers was a superb bloke from St Mawes. With a beautiful accent. Excellent sense of humour.

Well you needed that to enter into the spirit of 'being at the seaside'!! :roll:

Andy

Them bloody coppers in their huge rib - what were they doing there? A navigational hazard, right in my lane on the last leg . . .
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Ah that's our very own River Fowey guard ship - owned and operated by a retired cop who is our Marine Special Constable. His boat is MCA certificated and fitted with blue lights for use as a police boat. He has patrolled this coast for several years including joint patrols with other Agencies. A great asset for us. His blue lights were covered up and no Police signs visible so technically they were not on police duty. They were the safety boat however. (He runs Guardian Rib Charter and does cover for the Red Arrows, Fowey Week etc.) Devon & Cornwall Police want to stand him down from Maritime Patrol for reasons best known to themselves.
Glad you had a good day and hope you got home safely.
Aye,
Robin
Attachments
DSC_8565e.jpg
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
rosbullterier

Post by rosbullterier »

Thank you for the information Robin. I hope I shall be grateful at a time of need in more arduous circumstances.

He could have been of more use if he had been moored further down the estuary which is wider and windier instead of blocking the narrow river channel by Lerryn Quay house.
We do have more safety boats than previous years and other introduced safety rules .

Possibly I have an aversion to authority.

However I do feel a greater knowledge of the Lerryn River estuary would be a useful facet for the skipper of a large fat boat in the higher more shallow reaches where particularly in a neep tide, the river course marked distinctly between yellow buoys, is very necessary to follow to allow enough water volume for propellers. I know how close the underlying mud banks are.

Your picture of them is in fact just a few metres down from Lerryn Quay house after they have turned around to depart.

Every single other 'safety boat' was moored well away from the race course along the bank for consideration and safety reasons.

All the best,
Andy
GarethJ

Post by GarethJ »

https://m.facebook.com/GolantBoatOwners ... 698389735/

Just had a look through - great stuff! Looks like you had great weather.

Sadly, everything was working against me this year and I failed to get down.
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Committee Boat.
Attachments
DSC_8513.JPG
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

A few more of the River Lerryn Yacht Squadron on manoeuvres.
Attachments
DSC_8536.JPG
DSC_8525.JPG
DSC_8597.JPG
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

DSC_8619e.jpg
DSC_8561.JPG
DSC_8592.JPG