The History of Seagull Racing in Bermuda

Racing a Seagull? Got an event planned? Race announcements, results, mods and the boats here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Charles uk

The History of Seagull Racing in Bermuda

Post by Charles uk »

Rene very kindly sent me this link, I think almost everyone will really enjoy this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHDaCcfyJIs

Not making a cup of tea first was the mistake I made.

Thanks
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
beerjam

Re: The History of Seagull Racing in Bermuda

Post by beerjam »

I really enjoyed that. Thank you for sharing.

Cheers, Mark
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Don't thank me, Thank Jerseyman, he found it, I'd never seen it before, even though I nearly got a mention.
never-outbored

Post by never-outbored »

643D26E4-1F71-4165-B2A8-AA5676ADBC77.png
“Shorter and beamier” I’d take it as an accolade Charles, as long as their talking about the boat! :lol:
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Take care Young Man your not too old for being bent over my knee, or is that illegal nowadays.

No spanking naughty kids!
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I wonder how the Seagull Race in Bermuda went yesterday?
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I don’t think Charles and computers are very compatible so he sent me the email on the alternative course for this years race.
I find this race quite exciting and really hope to enter next year.
Attachments
A93C775E-6556-4212-B18B-98552EFE3D09.jpeg
509C69F1-16A6-411E-8337-19318EA6C1F5.jpeg
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Martine E Purssell

Dear all

After a year’s hiatus courtesy covid – the delayed annual round the island seagull race finally took place Saturday 31 July. Whilst we were hoping for the same weather conditions as the original date June 19th with no wind – it was not to be with winds from the SW at 12-18 knots. So an inshore course was set going from Spanish Point Boat Club – to Two Rock – around the Hinson Island group – down to 5 Star – then through Watford Bridge – back in to the sound through Grays Bridge – then up North Shore to Tynes Bay – back to SPBC. Two laps. The course was just under 32 nautical miles –close to the original race course but about 4 miles shorter.

60 boats preregistered over the June/July period. By race day we had just over 50 boats who wanted to race. Partly due to weather and partly due to race course change – we finally had a total of 33 boats sign in over a range of 10 classes.

Of these – 3 did not start -

Unfortunately Megan Titterton’s engine was not tied onto the boat and on her initial approach to the Club from Somerset area it came loose and fell off and sunk. Her father is planning a dive to retrieve it!

An unfortunate mishap occurred in the lead up to the departure of the 9.30 classes where a spectator boat was blown into and onto Tu-Lipz breaking the hull. Shelby and Stephanie – we feel for you – but next year will be your year!!!

A few boats completed one lap before retiring due to slowness – however Jason Sousa’s “Pops” in the sports class only did one lap because he only bought enough fuel to do one lap!!!! That is his excuse and he is sticking to it

Others did not complete the course or broke down.

A total of 17 out of the 30 boats that started their class completed the course. Well done!

The first Bermuda wooden dinghy to finish was “If you see Kay” captained by Chris Kulmala in 6 hrs 4 mins but this was a close finish with a challenge by Memory captained by Bill Tatem who crossed the line one minute later.

The largest fleet was the non wood dinghies – of which 8 started – and 6 finished. The class was won by #38 captained by Rosalind Wingate and crewed by 2 of their children – completed in 4 hours 41 mins.

Seaglassie captained by Nigel Pollard was the first Huckleberry to finish within the non wood dinghy class

The fastest elapsed time was 2 hrs 23 mins in the Racing Sports engine class – Boat # 20 captained by Leon Simmons.

The youngest participant was Aaron Lee 11 years old – who raced in Class H with his father. They managed one lap before catching some fishing line off SPBC which in turn caused overheating issues with their engine so they retired gracefully after 1 lap. Young Aaron said he would do it again!!!

Jason Semos has confirmed his jinx for another year – he started well but unfortunately he got as far as Hinsons before needing a tow. It is getting to be a habit Jason!!!! He blames this year’s breakdown on a piece of rust!!!

Desperate Housewives of DeepBay (aka In De Red) won the best dressed captain and crew award – they travelled with “Camille” who was dressed to match them – but was a silent member of the crew – being a mannequin – and only a half one at that – she was left to dangle over the edge appearing at times as if she was not feeling well – in fact Martin Dixon’s crashboat occupants apparently looked worried because of the lack of concern being exhibited by the captain and crew member for this rather ill looking person. Little did they know that it was “Camille”!!!

Overall – whilst it was not an ideal race day - everyone was glad to be out racing and it was good to see the diehards come out and also the newbies!!! And we did have a few!!!

A BIG thank you to Brian Lightbourn aided by his wife Vicky – he took on the challenge of applying for a large group event permit, dealing with the covid calculations etc – and setting up the online registration. There would not have been a race this year without his hard work. Thanks again Brian and Vicky

To Tom Wadson and his group of crashboaters – a big thank you – you are all very necessary for the success of the race and to ensure people are safe – whether they finish or not.

On behalf of everyone who races – we thank the Committee for all that they do to get the race going and design shirts, make decisions on race courses, boats etc – they do a lot and all of you might not see it to appreciate it.

I would like to thank Shawn Burgess for helping me out with the start of the classes and watching for the return of boats – It was weird not to do it myself – but what with the covid checkins etc – it was so very helpful and would not have been possible otherwise.

LASTLY – Thank you to our sponsors – Heineken and Burrows Lightbourn – and to Rubis for sponsoring our crashboats.

As a result of their generosity and your race participation – we are able to donate to charities which especially need our support due to reduction in donations/earnings caused by Covid. This year’s profit is $5,000 and will be donated to the Bermuda Sloop Foundation.

The trophy presentation will be set at a later date – so for the people who have not parted with their’s – please do bring them and the technical side of the committee – so that we can be sure that it is correct when they are given out!!!

Well done everyone – this is an event which is all due to your enthusiasm and sense of fun. Thank you!!

We still have Heineken and RISR shirts for sale – so do let me know if you want any
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

Thanks for that Charles, seems quite tough but what a great event, all I have to do now is see if I can get it together for next year!
Paskoya

Post by Paskoya »

JERSEYMAN wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:10 pm Thanks for that Charles, seems quite tough but what a great event, all I have to do now is see if I can get it together for next year!
It would be great to have you in the race next year! Bring a motor along, and I'm sure we can set you up with a suitable boat.
Paskoya

Post by Paskoya »

I've attached a few photos of the race - more can be seen at the following link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... AOiE8Ru0It
Attachments
Minor chaos in the bay just before the start of A and B class
Minor chaos in the bay just before the start of A and B class
E-1B class entries battling across the start line
E-1B class entries battling across the start line
Patrick and Ozzie looking fast in the rough
Patrick and Ozzie looking fast in the rough
Adequate hydration is critical for Seagull racing
Adequate hydration is critical for Seagull racing
A little breeze and chop is no match for a good boat and strong motor!
A little breeze and chop is no match for a good boat and strong motor!
Paskoya

Post by Paskoya »

Some more photos of the new motor and sport classes.
Attachments
A venerable Flea with a fetching rainbow '5R'
A venerable Flea with a fetching rainbow '5R'
IMG_3258.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 15672 times
Two intrepid young ladies with a seriously fast vessel, showing the boys how it's done!
Two intrepid young ladies with a seriously fast vessel, showing the boys how it's done!
IMG_3246.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 15672 times
Class C and D showdown before the start
Class C and D showdown before the start
IMG_3259.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 15672 times
Running well, but with enough fuel for the whole race?
Running well, but with enough fuel for the whole race?
IMG_3347.jpg (1.16 MiB) Viewed 15672 times
A bumpy ride for the entries in G-1
A bumpy ride for the entries in G-1
IMG_3394.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 15672 times
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Thanks for those great pictures, a lot of faces I recognise & a lot I don't.

Do I know you Paskoya?

Let's hope we can get a couple of Limeys over there next June to show you Onion eaters how to do it! Rene is up for it & I might have one more go before I get too old.

That's if the grown ups take back control of the asylum!
Paskoya

Post by Paskoya »

Charles uk wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:02 pm Do I know you Paskoya?
You do indeed, we spoke over the weekend, and I'm not the one with the great big beard :lol:
Charles uk wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:02 pm Let's hope we can get a couple of Limeys over there next June to show you Onion eaters how to do it! Rene is up for it & I might have one more go before I get too old.
We will be expecting no less than a full-strength Limey Expeditionary Force for next year - that means you too Charles, your countrymen will be in great need of your wisdom and experience in dealing with the locals, never mind the race itself!
JERSEYMAN

Post by JERSEYMAN »

I’m good to go and as I also come from a small island with a 40 foot (12.2meters) tide as well as constant wind and chop, it’ll be a little familiar and hopefully not too challenging albeit a lot warmer.
Attachments
79CB2BD0-18F2-446D-8688-DB0F14D142D1.jpeg
3995ED58-62C2-4CA4-BB98-BDF92CD64433.jpeg