Anzani Pilot.

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Hugz

Anzani Pilot.

Post by Hugz »

Thought it time l gave the little lady a service. Marine grease the box and upper swivel nipple. Boil the cork. Carb clean and check points and spark gap. Any idea what gaps l should be looking at? I run the fuel at 16/1....about right? I think that is about it. This the motor l use the most. Quiet and light.
Hugz

Re: Anzani Pilot.

Post by Hugz »

Ok. Found the info. 15 thou points gap and 25 thou plug gap . Petrol mix is either 12/1 or 16/1 depending on brand of oil used. I'm assuming modern oils 60 years later have better lubricating efficienxy so will continue at 16/1 to have a better burn. Plug haa a 1/2 inch reach with champion L10 recommended. Tilt is stayed by tension pivot bolt so stiff enough to stay horizontal but loose enough to lower. All pretty straight forward.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Sorry Huggy been at work
20180427_200236[1].jpg
20180427_200818[1].jpg
My paperwork says 20 thou for plug.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I wonder if the answer is model dependent.

As they were produced from 48 to 82 & had 6 different models.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Charles uk wrote:I wonder if the answer is model dependent.
Could be year dependant, I guess Huggy looked at this 1965 Operating Instructions http://www.britishanzani.co.uk/Pilot.pdf :)

No date on mine, but same plug and motor.

H-A
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Yep Allan (one L or 2? ), that's the PDF l found thanks. For use upto 14ft dinghy. It would be hard to push that along at hull speed. I see it mentions 3 bladed prop whereas mine only have 2. Did they change the motor design? I seem to recal finned and unfinned.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Hugz wrote:Yep Allan (one L or 2? ),
2 :lol:

Not sure spares numbers and prices were the same, Cylinder Part number 851 price £3.15S.0d, Propeller part number 980 £1.17s.6d.

You would think same year same price perhaps.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Good thought.

Have a harbour cruise today on an old tug boat with the "Heritage Fleet". A body of Australin historical vessels. Always fun.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Hugz wrote:Have a harbour cruise today on an old tug boat with the "Heritage Fleet".
Tug.jpg
Can't see you on board, must look at my other feeds, see if I can get a satellite image.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Nah, too cloudy today. I'll be on the bow port side if there is a break. Look for the grey beard though we will probably all have that :lol:
Last edited by Hugz on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Hugz.jpg
Is that you ?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Looks like Bruce aye!
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

:lol:
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
RickUK

Post by RickUK »

HI Hugo - the early Pilots had two-blade props., whereas the later ones were three-bladed.The early Pilots had a aluminium tube for a leg as opposed to the later cast legs (Mk III upwards I think).
Early cylinder heads were a plain shallow dome - later ones (don't know where the changeover occurred) had a flatter ribbed head.

I think Pilots went up to a MK V at least, changes along the way being shifts from Amal to Zenith carbs, and Miller to Wipac magnetos.

Fuel mix was 16:1 for a made up fuel mix, and one number different for a premix (15:1?)- i.e. a mix which used to be available at petrol stations back in the day.
I only ever recall a points plug and spark plug gap of 0.020".

All this would be crystal clear if I could be a**sed to pull a handbook out.
Just for interest, I used to give the gearbox a few squirts of 140 oil via an oil gun rather than the recommended waterproof grease, which just turned into soap and left the gear in fresh air as I recall.

Nice little motors!

Rick
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Good info as usual Rick. I'm happy to give a bit of a squirt of grease to box every few hours to keep it in contact with gears. Mine has cast leg, 2 blade and single transom screw so I'm thinking somewhere in the middle range. Almost worthy of a Pilot register! Is it possible to work out date from engine number? Cheers.... BP Zoom.