Help needed on Seabee

Talk about interesting old outboards which aren't Seagulls here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Russonz

Help needed on Seabee

Post by Russonz »

I am a outboard collector here in NZ and have been given what I believe to be a JAP powered Sea Bee. I have tried to email Mark Newby at outboard-collector@tesco.net but the email wont deliver. I would like to know more about this before beginning restoration, ie; original colour (it shows traces of white underneath the current blue colour), possible age (no serial number tag left on it), and what decals it should have.
The motor has JAP on the starter cover, fuel cap and motor shroud and has a zenith carby similar but not the same as a British Anzani Super Single.
It starts and runs well fortunately so the only parts required are the transom clamp handles.
Any help on this or pictures of decals etc will be gratefully recieved. Thanks. Russ
Attachments
IMG_20190309_103130.jpg
IMG_20190309_103101.jpg
cookie1

Re: Help needed on Seabee

Post by cookie1 »

Hi Russ

It looks like it could be a seabee super 3 , this add from 1963 magazine

Cheers

John
Attachments
IMG_20190310_202347.jpg
Russonz

Post by Russonz »

Thanks John. That helps although the transom clamp is quite a different shape.
Russonz

Post by Russonz »

Starting to think that it may be a Sea Chief instead. Found this photo which has the same transom clamp and is white all over. My one only shows white underneath the blue paint. No gold paint on the leg such as is on the Seabee. Does anyone have any info on the Sea Chief outboards or decals?
Attachments
seachief.JPG
cookie1

Post by cookie1 »

I wondered about the Sea Chief too , I can't find one with a band on the leg like the SeaBee . These pics and info from Peter Hunn's Old Outboard book
Attachments
IMG_20190311_224152.jpg
Russonz

Post by Russonz »

That basically confirms it for me. I hadn't noticed the absence of the leg band. Thanks for your help .Does anyone had a picture of a Seachief showing a decal. I found one picture of a Seachief Captain which must have been a smaller model showing a decal?