Missing Word In Old Decal

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Missing Word In Old Decal

Post by 10717 »

The decal on my SJP's tank is mostly gone and I have been trying to figure out what it said. I can see, "Fuel Mixture: One part of oil to ten parts of gasoline." There is then something I can't make out, followed by "pint to one gallon." Does anyone know the missing word? Maybe "7/8"? Or "3/4"? Thanks. (-20C here in Minnesota causes all kinds of overthinking.)
Oyster 49

Re: Missing Word In Old Decal

Post by Oyster 49 »

There are quite few little differences in decals over the years, here are the ones John sells at SOS.
http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/bu ... er%203.jpg

Post by 10717 »

Thanks—I actually have one of his to use. It is the one I see on most motors. I was curious, though, whether British Seagull gave a number to use for mixing up a gallon at a time. That is mostly how I do it.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

The answer your looking for is 0.8 of a US pint to 1 US gallon.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Post by 10717 »

Thanks, agreed, that is the accurate answer. I have mostly restored Johnson engines in the past and don’t remember ever seeing a decimal on an instruction sticker before. They are always fractions. Of course, old Johnson outboards are either 8:1 or 16:1, so that works out better. I have been scouring the internet for a picture of a late 50s or early 60s Seagull sticker, but no luck. Since John’s appears to be the only one made, it has become universal!