Seagull model 40

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Rockvale

Seagull model 40

Post by Rockvale »

Thanks for providing this site and thanks for letting me join. I recently bout a 1952-53 Model 40 in excellent condition but not running yet. The site provides valuable information to help me prepare to get it running. It’s serial number is FPV10626. It’s my first Seagull, I’ve alway have been attracted to their simple design and classic looks.
My question is does the 40 come in long and short shaft sizes?
Thanks for any help.
Skip Reynolds
Journeyman

Re: Seagull model 40

Post by Journeyman »

Yes Skip, they came in short and long shaft, dimensions are the same for the 40's and the 100 (Century)
Short is for a 16" transom and the long for a 22"
Overall length for the short is 37.5" and 43.5" for the long.
Welcome to the group, Dave.
Rockvale

Post by Rockvale »

Thanks Dave, evidently I bought a long shaft model. I am thinking about making a pvc sleeve to clamp on the main shaft to raise the foot up. Is that a reasonable solution? I do want to use it some on a small Jon boat occasionally.
Thanks again
Skip
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Yes that’s a good solution Skip, split the PVC and use two hose clamps to hold it closed.
If your Jon boat is what I’m thinking of it’s easily driven and the 40 will be just the job.
You will be able to adjust the height with the lenth of the PVC. Usually having the water level with the bolt that clamps the lower unite to the drive tube is about right.

Let us know how you get on, cheers for now, dave
Rockvale

Post by Rockvale »

Thanks again Dave. I’m in Florida now but will be back in Tennessee next month and will work on it then. I will post progress on it then. Looks like a 6” pvc sleeve should do the trick. Excited to get it running!
Skip
Rockvale

Post by Rockvale »

I got back to Tennessee and mad the sleeves, used black plastic water pipe, works great. It started right up and runs good but have a petcock leak. Is there supposed to be some kind of o ring type seal around the plunger? Everything looks good but no sealing gasket or o ring. Thanks for any help. Skip
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

Is this the type of Tap you have Skip?
Tap.jpg
If so it should have one of this type of plunger with a cork seal, there is a small screw retaining the plunger in the tap.
plunger.jpg
The corks sometimes dry up and allow petrol to leak, if you remove the plunger and put it in boiling water they often regain their shape and swell up again.
If it continues to leak you can get new corks.

Cheers, Dave.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

See the FAQ page on my site for more on this!

John
SOS
Rockvale

Post by Rockvale »

Thanks again John. I did some research, my cork was completely gone. I found the replacement shaft with cork on it (new) and ordered it. I also ordered some o rings that are supposed to replace the cork. Doesn’t appear to be anyway to replace just the cork. They should be arriving soon so hope they with. That should give me a good backup if needed. Sometimes I have a really hard time getting on this site, seems to be very slow so I just have to try again another time. I’m back in Florida and the Seagull is in Tennessee so will be a while before getting to test it. I’m gradually getting to know more about it. Really anxious to get it in the water running. Thanks again for your help.
Skip
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Many have tried o rings but few had sucess. Stick to cork!

One of the problems with Ethanol in the fuel is it eats rubber!

Cork simpler.

Don't know why you hve a problem with speed of load, suspect more to do wth your internet conection than the site, loads in a flash here.

John
SOS