Serial Number Identifier

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

BrendanM

Re: Serial Number Identifier

Post by BrendanM »

Hi Skip,

Welcome to the SOS forum!

I personally don't know much about individual engine numbers, but using John Williams' superb knowledge I put together a program which should be able to help you find all of the information on your engine that you need...

If you go back to the 'Board Index' and look at the top of the page, you will see our 'SOS British Seagull Engine Identifier' link. Go there and enter your serial number and see what it comes back with. Start by typing in exactly what you see before you take the 'L' out etc. (actually, it will not like that, sorry)

Is yours a longshaft? Take a look at this page http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/i_ ... etters.htm too. It has the serial numbers of the first and last models produced by Seagull each year (take a look about 15% down the page). There is definately an SJP with an 'L' at the end, which is why I would guess it meant 'longshaft' at that time.

Looking at the numbers what I would say is that it was made between 1955 and 1957... other more knowledgable people will be able to tell you more I'm sure.

Cheers,
BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

Hi again Skip,

Right... if you enter either 'SJM358' or 'SJM358L' the identifier will correctly identify your engine I believe (as you suggested in the first place '55-'56)... can someone confirm this for me please? Also, could you guys tell me if the 'L' denotes a longshaft on these models and perhaps give us some explanation of what the trailing '3' might mean?

Cheers,
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

I think it was a wrongly punched number and should be a two or similar which would make it 61/62. Has it got for or in on the flywheel cover? Are you tempted to get a seagull Brendan :D

CharlesP will sort it out, he is king of forties.
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello Skip,

No the Forty Minus was never made in a longshaft format so should never have an 'L'.

However we have seen some ex gov Seagulls with L4 and L3 after the number so that could be how yours was numbered.

Do you know anything of its history?

There are so many odd anomalies with these numbers that we may never get to fathom, but I think we have the basics mastered on the Identifier!

Most parts still available! (And on the shelf here!!)

Regards,
John
SOS
skipthescrounger

Post by skipthescrounger »

Thanks to every one who has helped to figure out my serial #. I do have some history on this motor. It was bought at a british army auction at Suffield Alberta Canada.That was a british training base. It was bought in the mid 70s.The family of the man who got it told me that there father got it really cheap and that it was in a wooden box that was painted all different colors. The motor was also painted different dull colors.It came with a tool kit and a small gas can and some extra parts. They are going to see if they can find any of the other stuff it came with.They said the parts may have been lost when they moved to the states in 1998. They said the father spent weeks cleaning the paint off it and gettijng it back to its original state. He used it for fishing and they stated that he never had a problem with it. So I think it may have been a military issued motor at one time. The flywheel cover does have"for" on it. The motor is 32 -33 inches long so is it a short shaft model? Again, thanks for any and all help on the ID of this motor. Skip. 8)
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hi Skip,

that verifies it nicely. So many ex Army or Navy Seagulls have the L3 or L4 suffix.

They were often painrted dull green or black and seemingly, in line with army tradition often. (If it moves salute it otherwise paint it!)

Good luck with the gull

Regards,
John
SOS
skipthescrounger

Post by skipthescrounger »

Thank you John. I will be Emailing you soon to purchase some parts and manuals I will be needing. Have a great day, Skip.
BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

Hi All,

It's brilliant when it all comes together!

I will look at incorporating the info from the last few posts into the identifier program... for the next ex-army/navy Forty owner.

Keep asking the questions, and we will find the answers!

(Apologies for my own lack of real British Seagull knowledge). :oops:

Cheers,
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Brendon, Mate.....

I think a Gull should be slipped under your garage door late one stormy Knight, then you will have to gain knowledge to look after it. Bit like being given a puppy out of the blue...........gotta cope and learn.

Anybody up to "Doing Brendon" with a Gull?

:twisted:

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

Made me chuckle mate... cheers! :)
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Now there is a thought!

John
bazas79

Post by bazas79 »

Hi, I am new to the site and hoping someone could help. I have entered the serial number in to the identifier and it comes back with nothing.

I am sure its a 102 series, the serial is difficult to see AOR3948 or ACR3948.

Thanks Baz
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

The R signifies that it has been factory reconditioned. Remove the R (AC) and you have 47/48 clutched 102. A rather desirable motor if I do say so. Originally she probably had the three grease nipples on the gearbox and the straight out the back exhaust outlet though that may well have been changed to the angled spout during its recon. The top of the magneto (disc under pulley) would have no markings.

Congratulations!
BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

Hi Hugz and Baz,

Thanks for bringing that error to my attention and especially to Hugz for giving us the explanation!

I have fixed the identifier now so that it will correctly identify an engine as reconditioned if the serial number contains an 'r' anywhere. :oops:

Cheers,
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Hi Brendan,

Might not be quite as simple as removing the "R". The Osprey OSR, Kingfisher KSR, 90/110 EFNR have a reverse gear which is denoted by another "R"... :?