You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Hi All.
Just become a member and would like to say hello to you all.
A bit about myself , ex taffy from Cardiff now living in New Zealand. Just bought 3 seagulls this morning from a cow cocky and they were just hanging in his shearing shed. Covered in dust and bird poo. They are models SD 12168, AC 37781 and LLS 164J6. Two have a spark, but ive not been tempted to try to start them yet, want to check them over first. The Sd looks like a military model as it has bent clamp handles on the mounting bracket and painted green.
Geoff.
PS just to upset you all in the north. its been 26c with a clear blue sky
Kiss =Keep it simple stupid
Oyster 49

Re: New member

Post by Oyster 49 »

Hi xtaffi, welcome.

Good to hear about your buys, that how we like em' original and the silver spray paint boys have not been at them.

I particularly like the SD models, with that number you probably have one of the later end of the war dept order. There are several SD/102 restoration threads here with loads of good info and advice.

The transom brackets are always an interest on SD models. The original engines had side mounts, but these are very very rare.The SDs coils have a tendency to fail, but replacements are available.

Look forward to seeing the pics, the more the better, lots of detail. We like pictures.. 8)
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

One more comment about the temperature difference xtaffy & you will be awarded one of those little rubber rings to be found on the shelf in the cow cocky's (farmer) shearing shed, jesting aside, welcome sounds like you've found some nice toys there.

Where do you live? down in the cold & wet or up in the warm & not quite so wet.

If you need any help with parts & info, talk to Graham at Simply Seagulls in Taranaki, he certainly knows what he's talking about, you will find his details in the links page on the main site, & go & find the closest to you Seagull race, it's a very good day out if you can cope with the Speights.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Thanks for your welcome Charles.
Live in the bay of plenty, not far from Whakatane. As for the docking rings they don't make a large enough size for my nuts.LOL
Ive been having a play with them this morning and gave them a water blast and a clean ( i mean the motors not my nuts)( should have taken some pics but i think er in doors would have had a moan about dirty oily marks on the camera). On that SD there are some of the bolts sheared off on the bracket and Ive noticed that the motor is held onto the bracket by two down facing hooks , so it looks like the motor could be separated from the bracket simply by lifting the motor upwards.
Ill have to take some pics for you.
Geoff.
Buzzook

Post by Buzzook »

LOL

Weird flagelations our Kiw bros get up to.....

Last thing I would be considering doing with a water blaster is aiming it at my cojones.

[Read his post less carefully.....as I did at first] :mrgreen: :lol:
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Hi all
Here are some pics of the sd moter I picked up the other day
Image[/img]
A handy way of using your old screwdriver handles.
I did try and upload a few more pics, but only these two were allowed, does the site have alimit as to how many pics you are allowed to post.
The Tinker

Post by The Tinker »

Hi there xtaffy2
I live in Whangamata. I have a few 102s. Parts are readily available at Simply Seagulls in Waitara, new and S/h. And very resonably priced. Need any info PM me
Rex NZ

Post by Rex NZ »

Hi Xtaffy2

Welcome, There's quite a calendar of events coming up this summer. Check it out

www.seagulloutboard.com

Also there's some contact details on the website for local Spare Parts & other stuff

Rex
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Hi , I would be very interested to see more shots of your SD, particularly where the transom bracket meets the drive shaft casing...
xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Is this what you require Charles? the motor holds on with two hooks and then secured by a brass rod that hinged in the middle.
Thanks for your welcome all. i will bear those calendar dates in mind Rex. though I understand that there might be something going on at the Tarawera river this summer. Ive been given a guys name from down this way that might be able to help if i need it. Glenn Jarvis is his name.
Geoff.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

That's the one, thanks. It's always interesting to see an example of that particular transom bracket on an SD. Although its patent dates suggest otherwise I am convinced that some SD motors were despatched with that bracket.

Do you have a CIESS stamp (it'll be faint if there at all) on the skeg?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

The elusive "skeletal" bracket. 8)

I've been looking for one of those for ages! Nice to see one turn up.

Looks like an excellent project engine, how about some pics of the carb, gearbox, tank and the top of the flywheel? All can be hard to get unique SD features.

SDs are possibly the most talked about engines as they are the oldest engines around that were made in high numbers, so they do turn up. Yours has probably the rarest transom bracket, so a bit of a find. Excellent!

I think the limit for photo uploads is 225 kb per photo.
xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Hi all.
Some more pics for you all
There are no marking on the skeg or anywhere else on the bracket, though its hard to see as its been painted green and then for good measure silver.
Now i have a Q 1 do i remove the old paint on the bracket or do I leave it?? Ive polished up the brass locking pin and the main support bar , as both were broken.
Q 2 What does the mounting bracket that sits on the drive shaft look like, that's the one that the A frame sits in when the motor is raised ?. At the moment there is a bracket made from sheet brass and is home made, Ill put up another pic for you to see whats there now.
Q3, When was this skeletal bracket made and used?
Geoff
xtaffy2

Post by xtaffy2 »

Heres the pic of the brass bracket that is on the drive shaft bottom right of pick.
As you can see the nut and bolt is missing and it definatly looks home made.
Tank covered in redlead and grey paint plus alittle surface rust,Im stripping it off to bare metal and repaiting.

Geoff
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Welcome Geoff
Ahh that old dilemma, to polish or not polish that is the question the answer is easy. Its up to you but i would flush out that tank, clean the carb inside and out but be careful of the tread in the body base. Check for a spark, change the plug (having set the gap) fresh fuel 10;1 mix fingers crossed and all works well.
Enjoy
Graham
Do you have the bayonet tank cap ?
Sad i know but have to love that bracket
Looks alot better than mine did
Attachments
Photo-0002.jpg
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.