do we know of a tin basher

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

hedgerowpete

do we know of a tin basher

Post by hedgerowpete »

I have been reading the forum for a while now and whilst she finaly started to run today we still have to dents in the petrol tank to deal with, one is a small crease in the edge of and end cap the other is a dent in the tanks main tube where she was dropped.

who do we know that does tin bashing and can rebuild it.

If anyone has had that done could you also let me know what sort of costs where involved,

pete
spiderg

Re: do we know of a tin basher

Post by spiderg »

Hi Pete, there is a good man on here who restores tanks brilliantly. Unfortunately I'm not in the position to say if he will or won't, but there's no harm asking. H-A is the man. He posted pictures a while back of his method of removing the sides and tapping the dents out. I think he offered to do it at the owners covering courier expenses. I'm sure it was H-A.

Gerard
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

That was a few years ago, not sure i said I would mend tanks for nothing. :D

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=986

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1017

Might have said I will take you tank ends off for you, if you are passing or post to me, for payment in beer.

Do they make beer in Smethwick

hedgerowpete you missed the k off the end of Smethwick. :roll:

H-A
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

Appologies if I got it wrong, didn't mean to say the wrong thing.
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

as well as parting thend off are you able to do the two dent removals and put the lot back together again as its well past my skill set.

as a true tradesman i know when i am out of my league and just need someone to sort it out for me, depending on costs ,

i forgot to mention its a brass/copper one if that makes a difference
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

spiderg wrote:Appologies if I got it wrong, didn't mean to say the wrong thing.
No problem Gerard, are you planning on coming south this year, should we be looking out for a boat for you to borrow? :)

H-A
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

hedgerowpete wrote:as well as parting thend off are you able to do the two dent removals and put the lot back together again as its well past my skill set.

as a true tradesman i know when i am out of my league and just need someone to sort it out for me, depending on costs ,

i forgot to mention its a brass/copper one if that makes a difference
How bad is it? can you post some pictures (images need to be 500k or less).

H-A
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

H-A, I have a strong desire to come down this year, if only to meet you guys. At the moment I won't commit to anything, but the wife is wanting a week away with the stepdaughter and her girls (Disney Paris), so that gives me an ace up my sleeve. Whether it's to participate or to give support I will let you know as soon as. It's a long drive but then again there are other means of transport. Yes indeed, I hope to see you all at one of the events at least.

Gerard
Grumpy

Post by Grumpy »

Missing or failing to use a k at the end of Smethwick is something I find intolerable.
Years ago I left a p off at the end of my home village and ended up in the cells for the night.
A lifetimes good solid reputation flushed into oblivion.
david

Post by david »

I have often taken the "p" out of the town I was born in. Up there, they just form an orderly queue.
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

ok here are two dents in three pictures for you look at. the made one is where the seagull has been stood on is tank and pushed down onto the bolting point the seconded on is a crimp on the end cap.

what i am looking for is a person to remove as much as posible the dents but i am not looking for perfection as my seagull is a working motor, not a concourse show motor.
its just if i was to do it it is going to go wrong badly, very badly, thats why i am looking for a propper tinsmith/metal basher to sort it out for me, i dont even have a soldering set to take it apart and to put it back together
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

That looks like it has gone a bit beyond "whipping the ends off and knocking out the dents"
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote:That looks like it has gone a bit beyond "whipping the ends off and knocking out the dents"
I would agree, they come up on the bay quite often. When you consider that labour is £20-£30 per hour then it starts to get expensive.

Even at £10 per hour it would take half a day plus materials to take that apart and repair the dents, then solder it back together again, so £50 plus postage. :roll:

I would look on the bay for a better one.

H-A
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Definitely! these tanks are not rare
but its hard to find one not dented but that's the worst Ive seen!
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

the anoying part is to me being ignorant of the tin smiths trade is the biggest dent by far is the push down on the mounting bolt, if only it was as simple of just pulling it back out, but knowing my luck it will blow all the solderd joints and i will be stuffed.

I am surprised that on the forum there is not a retired tinsmith that makes his money knocking the tin tanks back into shape or we know of someone who does it.

as i said i dont want perfection just a large lump of the tank lifted the dent in th eend cap i can live with.

never mind off to yellow pages tommorrow to find a tank mender then