Another Project

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Keith.P

Another Project

Post by Keith.P »

This is as close as I can get to an old 102, (for the moment) after I restored my TC, I have been looking for another older one.
So I ended up getting hold of a D, its not in the best of condition, but it has a spark, one thing less to worry about, but still plenty of drilling and tapping to do.
It has had some newer parts added, so will start looking for missing parts and try to get it as original as I can.
Already started pulling it apart.
Charles uk

Re: Another Project

Post by Charles uk »

What's the JM number on that Keith?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Charles the number is JM 12811, not that it means anything to me and its a D1208L.
Last edited by Keith.P on Thu May 10, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I do like these older seagulls, it amazes me how they stand the test of time. :D
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

That must be fairly late in the serial sequence of those magnetos. wonder if that mag has always been fitted to that engine? The SD I have just completed has JM12411. that SD is circa 1945.

The SDP I have circa 1946 has a flat top magneto with the earlier screw and locknut points.

That would make this D model somewhere between my two 8)
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I don't know if the ignition set up is original or not, but its stuck solid and to be honest I like the look of the coolie hat better, so I may keep it on whether rightly or wrongly!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I'd be very supprised if your ignition isn't original from those numbers

Both of those numbers make sense, as Jamie Oliver would say "That's Pukka"!

I've got one exactly the same D 701, JM 9909.

My JM number looks a little too early by about 2500 to be 100% correct, same tank, but I've got the wrong late transom bracket, yours is newer than mine so yours will be worth heaps more money.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

knowing Keith it will be in fine fettle very soon 8)
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Oyster, if I can get my D looking anything like the SD you have just finished I will be more than happy.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Update on the 102, it may not look it but its coming on slowly.
I did have the ignition die on me after replacing the coil wire, but luckily it was only one of the fibre mounts under the points that was missing and had earthed it all out.
Still looking for a tiller wing nut, if ones about?
No polishing or painted anything yet, only a splash on paint on the head to stop the rust, most of the time is spent drilling and taping snapped studs and bolts and making new gaskets, just put it together to see if I have all the parts I need.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I spent some more time on the 102, It had a plastic fuel line fitted, but I prefer the look of a copper one.
So with a little work that's done.

I still have the tank to do, I have already lead filled some of the major dents, just the paint job to do.

Also if I had realised that posting my 'so common' 102 project on this site was so uninteresting to others, then I would not have bothered in the first place!
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

There is nothing uninteresting about any 102. Keep posting. At least it has the long throttle lever but I noticed a plastic clamp
Used the needle setting on my acr to correct the leaking carb on my sd (acr runs like a dream and NOTHING leaks) It does smoke a bit -- well alot
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

Keith
The slight changes between the years of the SD and the ACR are hard to spot for the untrained eye. Short jacket, long jacket, raised top fly wheel, square edge fly wheel, gear levers, throttle leavers brass, chrome. Without the support of this site and its members these little engines all too often find the way on to the scrap heap. The knowledge, enthusiasm, and support required during a restoration project can sometimes get overlooked. Keep posting and with lots of pictures. Any self- respecting Seagull owner will appreciate the heritage that you are preserving for future generations.
Keep up the Stirling work
All the best Graham
PS i will keep an eye open for a brass number two wing nut
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Hey Keith can you post how you made the fuel pipe? I was looking at pipe benders the other day do you use one?

Graham is spot 102s are the best! D or C models are really hard to find, more SD or marstons in the last year have cropped up!

Another great rebuild, we need more of this on the forum!
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Thanks guys, Just couldn't see the point in posting pictures if no-one is interested.
As its my first proper 102 other than my CP and I don't have any 102 spare parts whatsoever, its a little slow in getting the parts together.
The plastic clamp is what it came with, I did have one, but its for a 40, not 102 and £5 for one off FleaBay seems a little high.
You liked the throttle lever, so did My old 36" cut 1940's Dennis mower, before I removed it.
I have been keeping an eye out for a wing nut, but no luck as yet, also had a go at making some bronze thump screws, but couldn't get them hot enough to bend, so will do some brass ones.
As for the fuel pipe, 1/4" copper tube, about £2, is normally pre-annealed, so you can bend it with your fingers, I still have plenty of bronze and brass under the lathe to make the olive thingies and then just solder them on.