SD register

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

SD register

Post by Oyster 49 »

I was thinking of volunteering to start this project up. Primary aim would be to register as many engines as possible, with info on serial numbers, parts fitted, magneto numbers, brass carbs, condition(Original, restored, unrestored) etc. Obviously any information would remain private, and the focus would be to see what is around. I would not wish to seek contact details other than perhaps a forum ID.

I would target SN, SD, SDP, SNP etc. Perhaps a future development could be to add D and C engines at some point.

How much interest is there like to be?

Please answer yes or no and add any thoughts, and I will take it from there. Hardly worth it if only a small number show an interest.
skyetoyman

Re: SD register

Post by skyetoyman »

feel free to include my SD to the register if it happens.
Regards
Terry
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Only one response to date, so I guess this project is a non starter :(
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

Id say they are worthy of it
woodbutchergraham

Post by woodbutchergraham »

[quote="Niander101"]Id say they are worthy of it[/quote]

Yes Worth it id say. I know a running SD is an impressive sight but I’m shocked as to the increase in value of late. Best of luck with the register , what numbers do you want ?
The more facts we can gain on these engines takes out most of the speculation. Personally as to the flat top flywheels I’m of the belief that most may have been replaced when the original coils gave up the ghost.

The local repair guy using the dreaded pullers. To gain access to the coil thus increasing the repair cost by a new flywheel base plate, points, well as a coil.
Thats my opinion and not that of any one who matters :roll:
Life is what you make it, and what you make could change your life.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

I thought there was a register already.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1435&start=15

The numbers of my SD are here if you want them for your register.

H-A
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Adrian when I was compiling the Marston register I learnt a lot about outboard collectors, first they are a secretive bunch & unless there is some positive benefit to them, rooting around in the back of the shed or garage to provide someone they’ve never spoken to an engine number, is more often too much trouble.

I found that to collect enough correct details might take several emails & 2 or 3 phone calls.
But the best & most accurate results were from a visit, when I was driving past, with a camera in my pocket, after you’ve drunk their tea nothing is too much trouble & it avoids the misread engine & prop numbers & the claims that the Villiers lawn mower air intake was the fitted when it left the factory, as none of the owners want their pride & joy to be missing a couple of original components, you can also locate some very hard to find spares that they had no use for, that someone 2 counties away had been praying for.

Finding these odd spares started myself & another collector on the remanufacturing path after seeing how many Marstons were missing transom screws & their pressure pads, air intakes, prop nuts & the cast wing nuts that were not designed to have a 75 year life span.

You would be surprised how high the percentage of none internet users are into old outboards, you can only learn about them by word of mouth, & the ones in museums by asking the right people the right question.

I would estimate that 50% of Marston owners are not members of this site, & that if we counted up the SDs owned by members, we’d exceed 50.
Just looking at the frequency of visits by members I think you could say we have a core of 50 members that regularly contribute, many of the rest only joined to ask a couple of questions & went away happy, but the vast majority are guests who must have an interest or they wouldn’t find us, a percentage of these must have found an SD & want to learn more.

Don’t give up, throw out some bait & extend your net wider, they are out there waiting to be found!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Beagle2

Post by Beagle2 »

I'm in.

SD2527L3
Brass carb, no trumpet (missing?)
Brass exhaust
Copper hat
Black painted tiller arm
Brass clutch handle with white grip

What other detials would you like?

Perhaps you could generate a template for what info you need.
40 Minus SJM27515
102 SD2527L3
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Looks like it might be worth gathering some info. I will make a start, and we can see how it goes. I have listed below in priority order what info I think I would like to gather, so, please pm any of the following to me if you wish to register your engines:

Serial number:
JM number:
Magneto flat/coolie:
Copper/alloy magneto cover:
Carb brass/alloy:
Tank type:
Tank bracket type cast/stamped plate:
Long/standard shaft:
Comments on brass bits fitted, throttle lever, transom bracket, fuel pipe, tiller, tank decal, leg finish, skeg stamp, trumpet fitted or not etc. etc.
Non specific location (Country, county etc.)

Optional contact info that you may wish to give, name/email etc. entirely up to the individual. All contact information is totally private, and will not be disclosed, ever. Stored on a PC with full protection. All my PCs are destroyed upon reaching end of life.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Now 6 engines listed, all in the UK.

I went out for a cruise down the canal last night, to give the SD a good run, lovely evening :D 1 up in a 16 foot rowing boat I was keeping up with a cyclist on the tow path.. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuNmukwBpvw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTHqR7jd4j0&feature=plcp

Second video needs the sound turning up. I'm getting a bit of a rattle, not sure if it is the exhaust or magneto cover? Any thoughts?
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

I think you need to insist on photo details. Many people may simply state 'steel tank' when we need to know which type. They may say 'bronze bracket' and we need to know which type.

Charles and I have recorded JM number details and serials. Obviously it wasn't enough. We were after JM numbers purely to record how many survivors we had and likely production figures. Now we need to discover more.

We need to know what brackets were fitted to which batches. We need to delve a bit more into the serials themselves and the numbers on the other side of the crankcase. We need to find out if any batches had a chromed leg, what sort of throttle (Amal yes, but which of at least three types).

If you get any returns from SN owners we need to know what sort of carburettor, tiller arm, what sort of bracket.

Some handle on the copper vs alloy magneto covers would be useful too.

Good luck!

So photos are, I think, essential.

So are deatils of provenance if available. Where was it found? Any documents with it? Does it have a crate? Is it an original one? Is it for a single motor or for two? Any marks on it?

Is the motor painted? Does it have military references stencilled on it?
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

"Second video needs the sound turning up. I'm getting a bit of a rattle, not sure if it is the exhaust or magneto cover? Any thoughts?"

I watched the second vid as well...........................the hat is moving. Have a close look yourself.

OR

My eyes just followed my diagnostic thought process

There is a circlip holding the hat down underneath the pulley?

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
metalflake11

Post by metalflake11 »

Hello.
I own S.D 1581 P3
Steel round tank with a transfer that says Seagull across the top and G.D.P. underneath.
Coolie hat, bronze.
Pressed steel tank mounts.
Alluminium carb with brass trumpet.
Long shaft with clutch.
A very origional motor covered in old oil and kaki green. It runs beautifully with a later ignition system fitted, but the sixty year old magneto has thrown the towel in.
I bought it in a job lot of Seagulls from Nottingham years ago from a Gentleman who inherited a boathouse and chalet next to the river. Apparently his Father had bought the S.D. as Army surplus, and the others from Seagull new.
Niander101

Post by Niander101 »

SD Register is flourishing id say
have another for you to add SDP 11449
Brass tank!
smart bracket!
Thats an old ignition with the lock nut on points and has a number stamped in it with large stamps 511/221 =has good spark
any chance that could be an original ignition? :roll:
Attachments
100_0010.JPG
100_0011.JPG
100_0008.JPG
100_0009.JPG
100_0014.JPG
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Excellent! I have SDP11287, virtually the same as yours. (Apart from the "skeletal" bracket...at this point oyster leaves room and mutters for a little bit)

Does this one have the ministry inspector stamp on the skeg? Mine does not.

Worth keeping and cherishing.

How many more SDPs are out there? Who has one?