Boat/engine help needed

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

spiderg

Boat/engine help needed

Post by spiderg »

Image[/url]

Hi Guys, this is what I'm looking at buying now. There's a story behind it so I have to wait to see if it comes to me or not, but I'm hoping it does. As you can see it needs some TLC but it's exactly what I'm looking for. I believe my Century would sit nicely on the auxillary plate and hopefully a 9/10hp outboard for the main engine.
If this pic comes up ok then I'll post another couple. Unfortunately I haven't any photos up close as the boat is behind a locked gate.
I'm looking for the thoughts of you guys and any advice you'd like to pass on. As you can see it needs a paint job, do I do it by hand (as shown on youtube) or do I go for a spray job.
I'm not looking for speed, more a cruiser to enjoy myself, hence the 9/10hp engine tImagehoughts.Image

Please give me your thoughts, I'm not experienced in this field.

Gerard
kevinemery

Re: Boat/engine help needed

Post by kevinemery »

I always use a foam roller, if you get any lines from the roller edges just brush them out with a high quality brush. Preparation dictates the finish, the more effort you put in the better the finish will be.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Is it painted at the moment?
If not until below the waterline & good pressure wash with truck cleaner then a cut & polish might well be a much longer lasting finish
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

kevinemery wrote:I always use a foam roller, if you get any lines from the roller edges just brush them out with a high quality brush. Preparation dictates the finish, the more effort you put in the better the finish will be.
That is what I do, it works perfectly.

This vid shows what sort of finish is possible http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-SGcSlNmoo.

H-A
spiderg

Post by spiderg »

Thanks a lot guys, this is when I love this forum, you guys have the knowledge and experience. As far as I can see Charles, it's not painted apart from the transom, it looks like paint is peeling off that. Once I get ownership I will get more close-up photos then with your help, I can decide what I need to do. Thanks H-A, that vid gives me hope that I can get this boat looking very nice, with time and patience. Plenty more advice needed once the job gets started.

Gerard