Just an 2-stage introduction...

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

1-stripedkrijn

Post by 1-stripedkrijn »

Hello all,
1-stripedkrijn lives in the Netherlands, and as long as he can remember it, he has been an admirer of trusted Seagull engines but never owned or even operated one himself. :oops:
He is a youngster of 69 years of age. But now let himself do the talking...

During my active life I've been a dentist, and for some years I'm retired now . Recently I started renovating an old double-ender Sagatour 27 with the old Volvo MD2B engine in it. Slowly progressing t'wards completing this is but fortunately I'm not in a hurry. I have a small model engineers workshop with a couple of old smaller lathes and a miller at home, which helps a lot with different little projects which oftentimes do occur. As my Sagatour seems to have be built around 1970, I liked the idea to add a little extra character to it by sporting an auxiliary engine to it. Preferably also from about 1970, so I stumbled on this old but complete Silver Century Plus Long. So this old Seagull is now resting at home and waiting to be revived. I already noticed that there is quite a lot of play in the main bearings. Radial and axial. I suspect that previous owners have used a leaner oil mixture than formerly prescribed by the factory. Though the compression seems to be remarkable good, which is a good sign. So I will have to change the main bearings, line ream them and make the engine more over all a bit more presentable. Also there is a small wobble in the flywheel. So either the crankshaft or the flywheel causes this, or both. I have to check this out. But for the moment I'm still working on the Sagatour. I hope to summon up a bit of time to do some writing about the Seagull in the forum. Would be nice. But please forgive me if it takes weeks or even months before I post some information.
In the meantime, I'll have my armchair pleasure just reading about the mechanical pitfalls of our beloved Seagulls. Greetings from Tulipland!!
Older, and still not wiser... Fortunately!!!