Amsterdam will ban 2-stroke outboards in the canals

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Jan

Amsterdam will ban 2-stroke outboards in the canals

Post by Jan »

Today in the Dutch news:

http://nos.nl/artikel/2093075-amsterdam ... toren.html

Amsterdam will ban all 2-stroke outboards in the canals after Januari 1st 2017 :shock:

Jan
Oyster 49

Re: Amsterdam will ban 2-stroke outboards in the canals

Post by Oyster 49 »

Hi Jan, Thats not good. I agree 2 strokes do pollute more, but drip pots can be used and also bio degradeable 2 stroke oil is available too.

I remember sitting in the lock going into the canals at Vlissingen last summer, a barge went in first and and left loads of partially burnt diesel behind out of the exhaust. I suspect a poorly tuned diesel can be worse!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Well that is bad news Jan, It should not include classic and vintage, as there can't be many used on a regular basis.

I would rather be next to a 2 stroke, than an old diesel engine starting up. That will be next ban all diesels over a certain age, as they have done in London with vans and lorries.

H-A

Looks like we were thinking the same Adrian.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Reading the article they seem to be more worried about air quality. Don't other authorities that prohibit 2 stroke allow vintage?
Adrian Dale

Post by Adrian Dale »

the only place we will be able to run them soon will be in the bath.

AJ
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Lots of things seem to be changing. Any old motor/engine will come under some very close scrutiny at some point in its life by certain officials.It's happening in London already, i think it will only be a matter of time before the government will go crazy and start banning all sorts of things.

Bristol is the same. They've now introduced a 20mph speed limit in certain parts of the city in an attempt to reduce pollution levels. All it's done is created major traffic jams almost every day at peak times. (it takes me on average nearly 1 hour to travel 6.2 miles each morning just to get to work)
There's far more pollution with cars engines sitting at idle for long periods of time than there is for engines at sustained speeds.The difference between city driving and urban/country driving i suppose.

The motor industry has seen a few changes in the last 20 odd years or more what with catalytic converters being fitted to vehicles built after 1992. Then tighter emissions levels were introduced (euro 2/3) Now were up to euro 4/5 spec for modern cars with super tight emissions levels. Diesels have also come in for tighter restrictions the same as the petrol/gasoline engines.

What's coming next i wonder? :shock:

Jon
haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Some pen pusher,sorry,button pusher sits in an office with a computer,works out the how to reduce pollution.Looks great on a screen but the problem arises when you put it on the ground.No allowance made for various factors,in cities,traffic lights 20mph speed limits,numskulls filling yellow boxes etc.etc.etc..In the country,large slow moving agriculture vehicles,some which are bigger than Tam's a 40' on a road where two cars have bother meeting,never mind trying to overtake.
There was ethanol introduced to petrol,10% here,to reduce pollution,but I don't think the extra fuel that needs to be burned to cover the same distance to make up the reduced power of ethanol loaded petrol was taken into account.
Lately I have been reading that they,the scientists,are now blaming the cows in the fields for being a large contributor to global warming.What are they going to do,put bloody catalytic converters on the animals arses? I wonder what kept the CO2 at bay when the millions of animals that roamed the world before man set about slaughtering them in the 19th and 20th centuries? Yes I have seen farmers cause damage with their slurry,but as in all walks of life and industry you will find a gobshite.
I am not a "Global Warming" disbeliever but I do believe that the "Green" taxes are a means to line the government's coffers.If they were really worried about global warming ,they would be taking steps against big business in chemical,plastics etc. production.One of those factories probably expels more pollution into the atmosphere in a day than all of our 2stroke outboards put together will do in our lifetime,even if we used them all day everyday.Rant over :x .
I'm sure someone will be able to contradict my theory,I'm no scientist,but to draw a comparison,if you reduce the quantity of a core element in a concrete product,cement,you need to increase the quantity of the product to meet the same weight bearing specification.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

It's more out of sight out of mind policy, pumping raw sewage into the sea is ok, but running a two stroke on it is frowned on in some areas.
Most lakes around here you are not allowed to use a two stroke motor, but come the summer when you want to be on the water in some shape or form, you are unable to do so, as they are over run by weeds, caused by the run off of fertilizer from the fields.
All helped along by Brussels banning river dredging.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Jan
By the sounds of it, this is more a water pollution problem?
I bet there are a large number of diesel powered craft up and down the canals that are far worse than any dear old seagull!

Very unfair all of this :x

Jon
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Jan how far does this ban extend, just the centre or all canals?
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Kevin O Connor

Post by Kevin O Connor »

Looks like Amsterdam might be the place to go to pick up some cheap 2 stroke engines. It is fast coming to the stage where the only place you will be able to use a 2 stroke is a barrel in your back garden. Wait until the E.U. pass a law banning all 2 stroke engines, including boat engines, lawn mowers, etc. :evil: