You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

flyguy

Little Forty

Post by flyguy »

I got the wink that this was on fleebay so I put a bid in and got it for £26
NUMBER LS25048, The identifier told me it is a little forty
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Seagu ... true&rt=nc
Now I have to discover why it won't start, picking it up Sunday and we will see how long it takes for a complete novice to get it going with the help of the experts on here
PS Tam my wife thinks it was a fiver :roll:
1965 40 - 1990 55 - 1954 - Little Forty -1986 EF
headdownarseup

Re: Little Forty

Post by headdownarseup »

Nice work that man.

I already have 3 of them so didn't really need another one! :lol:
Chances are that the ignition will need a good clean up and re-setting. If you're unlucky enough to find the coil has given up its last, then a replacement working baseplate might be the way to go. (some of us have spares)
Take your time with it and dont rush anything.
Take plenty of pictures as you acquired it, dirt and all, and use them as reference for later on in the build up.

Looking at the pics it even has the remains of the "flying gull" decal which is nice to see. Did you manage to get hold of the prop to go with it?

Lastly, does Jeremy know you've now got this one. He might be interested in logging its data for his records :P

Keep us updated with your progress.

And as always ask if you get stuck on anything.

Jon
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Nice one im sure it will be running within the hour. ....now there's a challenge
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

headdownarseup wrote:Nice work that man.

I already have 3 of them so didn't really need another one! :lol:
Chances are that the ignition will need a good clean up and re-setting. If you're unlucky enough to find the coil has given up its last, then a replacement working baseplate might be the way to go. (some of us have spares)
Take your time with it and dont rush anything.
Take plenty of pictures as you acquired it, dirt and all, and use them as reference for later on in the build up.

Looking at the pics it even has the remains of the "flying gull" decal which is nice to see. Did you manage to get hold of the prop to go with it?

Lastly, does Jeremy know you've now got this one. He might be interested in logging its data for his records :P

Keep us updated with your progress.

And as always ask if you get stuck on anything.

Jon
I saw that Jeremy has a log of this model and I will give all the details I can, photos will follow maybe less photos than requests for info :oops:
I think if I take lots of pics, post them here and then see what it looks like when I've finished with it, I did see another little forty and though the best way of getting parts is buying others but I won't do that until I know what I'm looking for, wife seems quite happy all she said was
"Well at least its not more pairs of waders" haha
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

tambikerboy wrote:Nice one im sure it will be running within the hour. ....now there's a challenge
within a year was my goal lol
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

Great find that!

They are really cool to play with. Lots of pics as you go.

Cheers

BnC
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Nice flywheel cover your off to a good start ..
I,LL NEVER SMOKE WEED WITH WILLIE AGAIN. ......the party's all over before it begun. ...
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

tambikerboy wrote:Nice flywheel cover your off to a good start ..
First thing I noticed in the advert, was the logo "The best outboard motor in the world"
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I collected it today and like what I see so far, fuel tank is in great shape with only a couple of small dents, paintwork is well worn, inside the tank loos good but will need cleaning, it still has the fuel filter attached
It's not seized and to me looks complete, only thing I have spotted so far is that it looks like it has the wrong prop. this is from a 40+
here are a few photos

tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

Nice honest looking wee motor. ....looks good to me Jeremy will keep you right clover prop and thrust block I'd say ditch the jubilee clamp is it nearly finished yet :lol: :lol: that's 24hrs. .....
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Yup
Ditch the jubilee clip at the top of the tube (ugly and wrong)
Tam's right, a 4 blade cloverleaf prop is what you need.
Everything else is on the money for an LS.

2 or 3 holes in the water inlet?

Good luck with it :P

Jon
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

:lol: Prop ready for posting Steve you'll be needing a thrust block too. .... get tying
Attachments
20160711_184046.jpg
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

headdownarseup wrote:Yup
Ditch the jubilee clip at the top of the tube (ugly and wrong)
Tam's right, a 4 blade cloverleaf prop is what you need.
Everything else is on the money for an LS.

2 or 3 holes in the water inlet?

Good luck with it :P

Jon
I did wonder why it was on, I think this is what should be on?

holes in the water inlet, struggling again :oops:
is this it? :oops:

Sure in one of my posts somewhere on here I said I was a novice, now I guess I'm worse, idiot is what I really am :lol:

As for the Thust block I hadn't even noticed, :oops: is it a universal piece, I see a few on fleebay
Tam thank you but payment has to be more than a few of my trout flies and can we call this day 1 of 365 please? :shock: PM on it's way
I have a busy diary, Harris in the outer Hebrides next week, Orkney in August and Sutherland in September, wife needs a holiday too
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Nice pics so far.

Ok then, your first pic is of a HEIGHT ADJUSTING BLOCK. This attaches somewhere at the top of the torque tube to allow an adjustment in height to allow for differences in the boats transom. (as per the original jubilee clip in your earlier pics.) Occasionally you might need to have one of these on your LS as the clearance can get a bit tight to allow adequate movement port and starboard. Lifting the motor up just half an inch usually solves most problems in this area. :P

3 holes in the water inlet is spot on for a motor of this age. (older LS's approx. in the 20,000 numbers and below mostly have 2)
All good here. Even has a brass drain plug too. Nice

Tam's a nice chappy isn't he sending you a 4 blade cloverleaf prop. That sorts out the lower end for now.

Word of advice here.
At some point you will be tempted to take apart the power head to clean out the water ways. You'd be foolish not to. Not as scary as it sounds but you will need a good powerful blow torch to warm up the nuts at the end of each stud holding the cylinder head to the block. Gently does it and don't force anything.

Report back when you've started taking things apart.
But then again the fishing does sound rather tempting at the moment. I havn't been out yet this year and am suffering withdrawal symptoms. I can hear the pike calling me at my local haunt. Good fun on a fly too.

Jon
tambikerboy

Post by tambikerboy »

I have a busy diary, Harris in the outer Hebrides next week, Orkney in August and Sutherland in September, wife needs a holiday too .....that will be the wild brownies then OK so you head up next week what day and what route are you taking I'm assuming you will come up the A1 past that place they call the capital of scotland (NOT) we'll be taking that title back soon . give me a date and your route and the prop and thrust block will be left somewhere along your route will forward co/ordinations nearer the time or pm your phone number. .. (no postage) in the meantime if you get a chance see if it's sparking...... 8)