Moderator's Meeting

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

NaughtyBits

Re: Moderator's Meeting

Post by NaughtyBits »

Wouldn't mind seeing 3 pinned threads for the info collected to date on the early 40's, SD/SDP/HSD's (Edit, thanks Hugo!) & the 102's (Jeremy, Hugo & Jon?). With owner supplied pics of what could be reasonably guestimated as 'original', restored, blinged out, etc..?

Understand some owners may not wish to - but I'd imagine it'd be a good, easy to find, 'one-stop', resource for those members restoring, interested in following the history laid out with pics, or questioning oddities, etc.

I imagine you'd have to keep a tight reign so these threads don't become bogged down, as most other threads seem to lately, though.
Last edited by NaughtyBits on Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

I'm already working on post war 102's. Hugo's on the wartime bits. I did post the then current list a while back which wasn't as finished as i would have liked, and the "up to date" all singing all dancing version is still a work in progress and probably won't be ready for quite a while yet, but you could always pm me if there's anything specific i might be able to help with.

Pictures can become a bit tricky, but if i have something in my shed i don't mind showing for the cause if it helps any.
I'm hoping the moderators have taken note of an up to date picture gallery that anyone can go into and look at a whole range of different stuff to do with seagulls, from the earliest Marstons right up to the last of the QB's and anything in between.

Jeremy's list is front and centre on John's main site, from the home page look under Range of motors,then look for "little 40" , scroll down the page a bit and hey presto. It's all there :P Take your time with it, paying attention to the key of what all the abbreviations mean, and it'll make sense.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

could always pm me if there's anything specific i might be able to help with.
Now why would you do this type of thing over a PM? Are you trying to hide something??
It would be much nicer if we could ALL see the answer.

Just saying (not just getting at you Jon)
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

NaughtyBits wrote:SD/SDP/HDP's .
What is a HDP? Is that a heavy duty plus SD similar to the HSD? Oh gawd, another motor to chase down. :P
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Yes, use of pms should not be replacing a decent post on the forum, this seems to be a common thing with Jon.

As for the 102 data, we have been waiting for 4 years now, umpteen promises and nothing repeat nothing has been delivered. All we get is the “I’m the 102 expert”

In my view, if you cannot deliver then don’t promise!

One for the moderators to sort out I think.
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

'HDP' - Doh..! :oops: Like an HSD, but the X-rated version... 8)

Well aware of what's posted on the main site, Jon, thanks. A thread pinned here, with accompanying pics would serve a slightly different purpose, allowing 'sensible' conversation in one place, rather than repeated threads that eventually all get bogged down the same way. Just a thought.

Also, I Pm'd you a year or so ago to try to get you my SD info, before Hugo had to take it over... you never followed through. And again, a thread pinned in one location (heavily moderated, I imagine) would serve many, rather than the one at a time, imo.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Also the info is read by many more vistors (guests) than members on this forum so they too will be able to glean the info.

Disappointed to hear that info has been offered on SD's and been ignored. I've been stonewalled by a few SD owners. I wonder if this is the case with them??
headdownarseup

Post by headdownarseup »

Firstly,before this gets all bitter and twisted I recall it was Oyster himself that said I might be opening a can of worms when it comes to the 102s and he,s dead right.
Just look at some of the comments the rest of you qhave hurled back at me.

I am not trying to hide anything from anyone here, but the data will take a long time to compile if it's going to be accurate. The data I posted up last year was a bit rushed, and Charles p will tell you I also had computer issues and as a result some of the data got lost. I did apologise at the time if you remember. So what if it's been 4 years so far, it might take another 4 years before I have enough credible information to show you all. Charles L is the person that has said we need to keep info correct and accurate, and to that end this is what I,m trying to do here. I am not an expert, the other Charles is as you keep saying he is the master.

Some information really doesn't need to be discussed in public, and from what I gather some of my replies to certain posts seem long winded to some of you. I don't get it, really I don't.

I can,t win with some of you

This is just some of the abuse I have to deal with from you, and I tell you something, if it carries on I shall quit for good and there won't be any data.

Edited by CharlesP to remove obscene language
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Calm down.

Does a spreadsheet of owner supplied data need to be ‘finished’ to head a pinned thread allowing for accompanying posted pics? Surely it’s considered to be an evolving document, just laid out for all to see & benefit from.

It’s a suggestion. That’s all.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Guys, (and of course any gals that might be lurking)- there's one thing we could do now that would improve the site no end.

Could we please just draw a line under this business of Jon's SD data? The guy had a computer problem and whatever he had is gone. That's the end of it. There's no point in getting upset about it, and no point in continually referring to it. It only causes unnecessary friction.

There's no money at stake, nobody's going to end up in hospital because of it. We are just a bunch of old men tinkering with old outboards at the end of the day, it's important to put things in context.
NaughtyBits

Post by NaughtyBits »

Back on track - just to clarify, it's the 102 data Jon says he's collecting that I'd be interested in seeing pinned (along with Hugo's SD data & Jeremy's 40 data)- so members/guest can very gratefully follow along, post pics of their own examples, etc.

Hopefully, Jeremy & Hugo will feel differently, if the Moderators see any value in the suggestion.

Thanks.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

I will be happy to see the data that I have compiled on The Early Series Forty F,FV,FVP. LM and LS available in any way that people think would be useful. The same would apply to the Notes which accompany the data sheet.

If any body wants a copy e mailed to them just pm me your e mail address.

Jeremy
seagull101

Post by seagull101 »

I've PM'ed you about something kind of unrelated to this .
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

Gentleman this thread is about changes that you'd like us to instigate to this web site.

Not to listen to peoples tales of woe, which only dilutes the aim of this thread.

Jon I have moved your post to a new thread "Moderators Meeting Spillover".
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Worthy of consideration, yes.

Smoke blowing exercise, certainly not.

There have been a number of suggestions on these two threads, as well as a few from PMs and telephone conversations.

However, I for one am going nowhere, not even down the road to the pub, until I have shaken off this year's miserable snotty bubbly wheezy coughing cold, which has me in the thirteenth day of its cruel grip.

Topics currently include:

Pinned posts for specific models

Ebay comments

Prop database

Maximum word count per post

Antipodean Section

Improve Search function

Clean up & deletion of posts & topics

Bullying

SOS data collection

"Likes" or "Dislikes"

- any more let us know