HSD engine

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Oyster 49

HSD engine

Post by Oyster 49 »

I’ve just picked up my latest purchase a HSD numbered engine. Future project 8)
Attachments
FBF5960E-6FE0-4FA7-8D86-6D5C8BBCEF1F.jpeg
942C7F8C-490E-4F28-956C-A2FDA102F75E.jpeg
6F75CC0E-146E-44A0-8766-42948DE885CA.jpeg
tambikeboy

Re: HSD engine

Post by tambikeboy »

Super sexy nice... :lol:
Roll me up and smoke me when I die
Regret is just a memory written on my brow
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

Gearbox and prop might prove fairly difficult to source.

Still has a fair amount of critical parts missing from it though. (tank, cap,carb,fuel line,ignition,clamp etc. etc.)

It might be a lot less hassle to rebuild this as an SD rather than trying to get this one to resemble something that few of us have actually seen in the flesh.
This would be only the second HSD to surface on this website with actual pictures with the same sorts of "swaps" , namely gearbox and prop. Everything else would appear to be along the same lines as SD's for the most part. Aside from the normal parts that seem to die or get swapped out, it is what it is. Missing quite a lot of important bits. Interesting though :P

Perhaps Hugo could confirm either way what's what.

SO..... that's where it went :shock:

happy new year everyone
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

I've already got all the parts needed to restore this engine to HSD spec as described in the experimental bridging unit test notes. Gearbox, prop, carb, coolie magneto. I've also got a brass bayonet tank, and a steel tank that requires a new filler neck which is on order from Ceandess the original manufacturer in Wolverhampton. The bayonet filler cap I also have available as I have a couple left which I made myself.

I've even got a brass amal throttle lever ready to fit and a steel tiller with a decent Dover grip.

A very easy project this, and I'll be pleased to hold a pretty unique engine. I certainly will not be rebuilding it as an SD, as that's not what it is.
cookie1

Post by cookie1 »

Very nice , look forward to seeing the completed motor

All the best for 2019
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

All the best to you too cookie, a happy new year 8)
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

Nice one Adrian.

I too have a fair few bits that could have done this justice, although still missing one or two of the more significantly different parts that distinguish this particular motor from the more "normal" wartime motors.
I was trying to say that without the huge bargepusher gearbox and appropriate prop the other way to bring this back to service would be down the SD route as i mentioned earlier, (with a crankcase swap showing an SD serial number obviously) but as you already have those hard to get pieces this should be fairly straightforward.

I shall be watching with interest to see how this one turns out.
And yes, definitely one of those very scarce and somewhat elusive seagulls.
Good luck with it. :P
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Excellent Adrian, can you give me the # after the L please. I think there is bp box in Bermuda too. Certainly a unique motor.
charlesp

Post by charlesp »

Nice one.

Why on earth anyone would suggest turning it into an SD I have no idea!

I have an AHC in the shed; it has a cap without an oil filler that is a little more streamlined and pointy than the ordinary barge pusher shape - is yours similar? Mine also has a three blade prop. It's a bit of a relic, like others I may get round to it one day.

I look forward to seeing photos of the finished article.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Hi Charles, yes it will certainly remain as it is :shock: The only info I have to go on at the moment is a copy of the experimental bridging unit test notes. So I’ll use that as my reference point. Let me know if you have any more info?

Happy new year.