Any big gulls in the US?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

andrew
Site Admin

Any big gulls in the US?

Post by andrew »

In the US is is rare to see a 102 or even century up for sale, at least on the internet. The vast majority for sale in last few years are 40's, ranging from SJP to about SEFPC. So I can tell Seagulls were imported in good quantities from at least the 60s to 90s, and there is lots of literature available advertising the full range of models in the US during this same time period. Yet rarely anything bigger than a 40 for sale.

I never considered I would reach this point, but I've finally had my fill of 40s. Now have 9, of which 7 are runners, of which 5 were thorough rebuilds, of which 2 are bistas. The remaining 2 were scavenged, so are really just a collection of parts and not enough to get another bista together. So, while I am by no means an expert on the 40s, my interest in them has subsided for the time being (that being said I am ALWAYS in the market for any gull in good original condition, which do come up from time to time!).

My question on the forum is, where are all the big guys?! I'd love to get a few 102s on the rack. I don't necessarily need a wartime SD (which would be fantastic), but surely some have migrated over the last 70 years. For example this one in the UK would be an ideal project for me, but alas distance and shipping are the usual barriers. https://ebay.us/p1426X

Welcome any thoughts or leads anyone may have. Thanks!
african imp

Re: Any big gulls in the US?

Post by african imp »

Bravo !

We have moved in a similar way, I once thought that the older 102 series was not that great, then I had a box of parts with some 102 power heads was given to me, slowly and I mean very slowly, I started looking at them and one by one I have produced two such motors, with another one being planed.

The picture is my second one, it was seized, quite a mission to free off the piston, when I did I found that the motor was near new.

I am testing for an ignition spark in the picture.

Roy

Hout Bay near Cape Town
South Africa
Attachments
IMG_2430.JPG
african imp

Post by african imp »

The first one I did was not my own.

It was a real wreck and my first sight of the 102 series, I had other parts from the 102 engines so had those replated when the one on the bench came in, they have been handy parts to have in stock as the next two engines could use the replated parts.
Attachments
IMG_2478%20(1).jpg
IMG_5203.JPG
IMG_5203.JPG (33.25 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

Andrew

You might just be in luck here!
I've been thinking of selling my silver century plus for a while now.
This could be the perfect excuse for me to sell off some surplus. Would this be of interest to you?
I can post some pictures a bit later if you like. :P

102 or century/silver century?
I know which i'd choose every time. But i'm just biased.
102's have been a pretty big interest for me over the last few years and can fully understand that this silly hobby of ours can get a bit "samey" some of the time.
I try to make a point of buying 1 new project every year. Something that i haven't already got ideally and hopefully in the most complete condition i can find. Keeps things interesting for me otherwise, like you, things seem to stagnate somewhat. (and trying to keep it hidden away from my wife for as long as possible helps as well)
40's aren't that bad are they? I have a few of them and quite like them actually. Makes a change from some of the larger seagulls i often use.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

If you are considering importing a motor from across the pond Andrew, the SD you mentioned is a good choice. I have communicated with the owner and can say he is very obliging and a gentleman. The motor itself is largely original with only needing a fuel line and a brass clutch lever and maybe a new coil. The existing fuel line maybe reformed to the correct shape. Also has the decal, brass intake trumpet and CIESS stamp. What is not to like about it.....

There is another SD in the USA that was recently imported from the UK. I also recall a forty that was imported from the US to England!
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I looked at that Hugo, looks very honest & unmessed with!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Yes that SD would be perfect for me, unfortunately seller doesn’t want to box/ship. Understandable, but unfortunate for me. I think the cost to ship would be more than the motor, but I would bear it with a grin if anyone wants to pop over to Derby...

I’m starting to think maybe the larger engines simply weren’t very popular in the US. 102s in particular.

Does anyone know when seagulls were first imported into the US in reasonable scale? I’ve got one imported by Inland Marine (later Imtra) in 1960, and they started importing only around 1958.

@blokewithaboat - I guess I’m really looking for 102s right now. Got any SD’s you care to part with? :P PS my trick is to only have 2-3 on the rack at any one time. The rest are squirreled away and when asked how many I have, the answer is always the same: not enough!
Last edited by andrew on Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raya

Post by Raya »

I have a service manual for seagull outboards which was published in the US (California) in July 1975. The book cover says it covers all models from 1.5 to 6 hp models. It includes a table listing the Seagull models which covers all the forty series and century models. No mention of the 102's, so doubt that there were too many around at the time.

Of interest, I saw my first featherweight forty at a museum in Polson, Montana. Never had seen such a small one before.

Regarding importing a 102 to USA, you would have to add the cost of converting it to LHD. Might not be worth the extra cost.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

There were separate service manuals for the square blocks, 102's, 170 series & the QuB's.

There is a Service dealer (Sean) in San Francisco his contact details will be found on the main site.

I think your hp like your gallons are a different size to ours!
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

SD in question raised 317 pounds!
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

It makes the HSD I bought at Christmas look a real bargain..
blokewithaboat

Post by blokewithaboat »

....... that i nearly won. :cry:
Next time then.

Andrew
I only have the one SD. Quite fond of it too being a very early one. Don't really need/want multiples of the same engine type. I think i'm up to about 30 now (not all 102's either) . The smaller gulls are quite charming too, maybe a bit easier to use by a novice. My biggest problem is where to store them now!