Am I on a slippery slope?

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

beerjam

Am I on a slippery slope?

Post by beerjam »

During the course of the summer I was suddenly compelled to build a plywood Kayak (for my kids - of course :roll: ). This was my first ever boat build and, I have to say, it was great fun and entirely successful.
I then had one of those "inspirational" flash-backs, to my childhood. My dad would hire a small boat for us to do a bit of fishing, invariably this boat would be powered by a British Seagull motor, and something about that open, spinning flywheel has lodged in my memory ever since.
So, my obvious next step was to get hold of one of these motors, get it in good fettle and build myself a small boat, with my newfound boat-building skills.
In September I acquired a reasonable little Forty Plus, of 1964 vintage, and after very little effort I had a good runner.
Then, just this week, another Forty Plus caught my eye. In similar condition to the first one but of 1967 vintage. So I bought it.
Now I have two motors and only the vaguest outline of a plan to build my boat. What is happening to me?
Is there any chance that I will be able to resist buying more of these addictive little engines, or am I doomed to continue down this slipperiest of slopes?

Cheers, Mark
Silver Surfer

Re: Am I on a slippery slope?

Post by Silver Surfer »

"Resistance Is Useless"
Build a new Shed, in order to house your future Collection! :lol:
FLYGUY1

Post by FLYGUY1 »

Silver Surfer wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:49 pm "Resistance Is Useless"
Build a new Shed, in order to house your future Collection! :lol:
is the correct answer, you won't have time to use a boat. lol
beerjam

Post by beerjam »

Thank you chaps, you have confirmed what I knew already, deep down. I guess that I was hoping the old denial thing might work 😁
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

When you build the shed make it three foot bigger than you think you need to build the largest boat you are thinking of building, the ideal boat is always three foot bigger than the one you have. :wink:

Dave.
beerjam

Post by beerjam »

Journeyman wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:30 pm ...the ideal boat is always three foot bigger than the one you have. :wink:
Now that is a fact that I am already familiar with.

At first I drew up plans for an 8 foot tender, just to give my Forty Plus something to push. Then I thought 'why not make it 10 foot, for a bit more room' and now, before I have even started building the thing, I am re-drawing the plans to scale up for a 12 footer.

It was always going to be car top-able. Now I am considering getting the welder out to modify my box trailer to carry a boat! Will it never cease?
Silver Surfer

Post by Silver Surfer »

[/quote]

Will it never cease?
[/quote]

Nope. Sorry, but you're done for. :twisted:
Journeyman

Post by Journeyman »

beerjam wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:42 pm Now I am considering getting the welder out to modify my box trailer to carry a boat!
Good Man! Next you’ll be designing a boat trailer and launching trolly and a bigger boat to go fishing!