Something different

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

never-outbored

Something different

Post by never-outbored »

I’m currently experimenting with some 3D printing, and have tried to recreate a century cylinder head on fusion 360. I’m still getting used to the new software, so this is only version 1.
F553E94D-AE4F-4808-B324-650E65B3CDBE.jpeg
40BEE57E-EE4E-454E-8E14-A58DD2CC98E9.jpeg
In later versions I will correct the spark hole angle, and add some chamfers to edges all round. Maybe even add some casting lines and the “don’t remove” text. Printed in white pla, at 20 percent infill on a creality cr10s. I’ve then primed it in grey plastic primer, I’m going to add a black top coat, rub it down lightly and apply a silver rub n buff finish to try and see how close I can get it to the real thing!
As for the underside of the head, there is lots of potential in the future. I may design a higher compression head with water cooling channels and use it as a positive so I could cast one... something to think about.
Hope this interests someone! And please let me know if anyone has tried this before.
Ed
Ulwembu1

Re: Something different

Post by Ulwembu1 »

Interesting! I have an Ender 3Pro myself and am still learning. Definetely not at your level yet!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Good job.

Looks like we may be trying "Lost PLA Aluminium Casting" .

You will soon be printing Marston cylinders I hope, watch this space.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

looking good!
I have been having a play with F360 as well (I'm doing it for a 1/3 scale model)
This is drawn up full size with the water ways
silver.jpg
IMG_1372.JPG
The cast parts where done with wooden patterns before I got the 3d printer. The plan is to make it a working engine. (only been 2 years so far) if only I didn't have to work!
"THE KING OF BLING"!
Is it better to over think, than not think at all?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Some great work here guys 8) I was looking at a Marston cylinder the other day, wondering if a solid one could be cast, then machined out to take a liner.

It got me thinking if a 3d printed pattern would be doable?
never-outbored

Post by never-outbored »

3D pattern is definitely possible, I would like to attempt it, if anyone has drawings of a marston block with dimensions of waterways/ transfers I am happy to try to CAD one up. Printing a block would need to be scaled up a couple of percent for casting I would imagine? And the surface finish of the pla may need to be thought about, as the printing lines would affect the castings.
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

We've had several conversations amongst the more mechanical members of the register on this subject.

There are 2 schools of thought, the first which is something similar to your suggestion but could well with all the machining fixtures, cad work, casting patterns & machining time, end up with a finished cylinder at well over £1000 and a severe shortage of all of the other spares required to complete the restoration.

The second, not do anything at all, so that cylinders that can't be fixed with a bit of plastic metal mean that the rest of your barn find gets sold as spares!

Just have a look & see how much it would cost you to remanufacture an exhaust, a crankcase or a gear case from Birmabrite ot just a crown wheel & pinion, perhaps it's better that some barn finds are beyond economic repair so there is a chance of finding some spares.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.