FVs

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Gannet

Re: FVs

Post by Gannet »

Adrian,
Thank you for your offer, but I will be keeping my two Fs.

I did note that the engine support lug was not to the original engine support lug spec, as it was the new engine support lug which was introduced at serial number 10000.

I will be offering FVP10422 for sale on here. I am keen to pass it on to someone who will put it together and hopefully use it. I also have a complete crankcase of FVP6493, which is in excellent condition and is a factory replacement item.

Jeremy
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Charles,
1.The Theaded Pump Housing (TPH) was superceded by the Clamp Bolt Pump Housing (CBPH) at about serial number 24400.
2. The method of fixing the drive shaft tube to the crankcase was the same for all of the Early Forty Models. it consisted of the tube located into the crankcase split bore and clamped by a steel ring clamp.
3. The original engine support lug (OESL) consisted a split ring locating around the crankcase. There was a thin brass sleeve
attached to the crankcase which acted as a bearing surface. Later, (samples around serial number 5900) it appears that this was plated (chrome?) to probably reduce the wear of the brass. At serial number 10000, the New Engine Support Lug (NESL) was introduced. This was a two piece assembly which clamped around the drive shaft tube. Obviously the lower crankcase was changed to accomodate this new design. As the Longer Stroke LS was introduced at this point, all LSs have the NESL. The earliest record of an LS that I have is 11408, although I suspect there are earlier ones.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:28 pm These are the FV/FVP parts I currently have, all are surplus to my needs currently. Happy to pass them on.
Adrian could do with 2 sets of steel gasket, another motor delivered today.

Email me hope they are not too expensive :P

H-A
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Allan,
You seem to indicate that you have acquired another Early Series Forty. Well done! Any details?
Jeremy
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Here you are Jeremy, FV 12206
20210124_152055[1].jpg
20210124_152148[1].jpg
20210124_152318[1].jpg
20210124_201558[1].jpg
River motor never been in the salt all came apart easily, turns freely and has a spark.

Has been hot at some point so will have a look at the bore and piston, is this a one piston ring motor?
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Excellent find, nice little engines the FVs. 8)
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Your newly acquired FV12206 looks good, Allan. Yes, the FVs are great and very useable outboards.
Thanks for the photos.
I especially like the small Champion plug cap. Could it have been an original fitment? I wonder when the Champion was superceded by the Seagull cap. I had previously thought it was a lot earlier than early !953.
Allan, are you sure you don't want an FVP to play with as well?

Jeremy
AusAnzani

Post by AusAnzani »

Interesting discussion!

I am currently in the middle of a mechanical restoration of FV4520. It does comprise the above-mentioned metal gaskets, now removed and thoroughly cleaned up. Both seem to be in very re-usable condition.

What I would like to know is the type of sealant that is recommended for correct reassembly. If anyone could help with some advice in that regard (original product or current equivalent) it would be much appreciated.

The secondary of the coil is also presenting as an open circuit. I note there are a few Villiers coil options advertised on eBay however I'm not sure which model is correct for the FV.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Spiro
www.vintageoutboardsaustralia.blogspot.com
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:00 pm Excellent find, nice little engines the FVs. 8)
Have you got any metal gaskets Adrian? could do with 2 sets.
andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

FYI John @ SOS has the FV metal gaskets in stock, I got a set from him only a few weeks ago.
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

andrew wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:25 pm FYI John @ SOS has the FV metal gaskets in stock, I got a set from him only a few weeks ago.
Hi Andrew, thanks yes I know.
Little Forty base and head plates 1 JOHN3574.jpg
It was just that Adrian previously said he wanted to get rid of some, and John has a limited number available.

Might just make some, could be easier.
Oyster 49

Post by Oyster 49 »

Hi H-A, yes you can have the ones I’ve got. I’ve sent you an email. Did you get it?
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Oyster 49 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:04 pm Hi H-A, yes you can have the ones I’ve got. I’ve sent you an email. Did you get it?
I did not get it, have emailed you.
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Spiro,
The original factory sealant was a black Bostik spec. I think the number was 638. This number has just popped up from the depths of my brain, so is probably wrong! But, whatever the number was, it is no longer available. CharlesP researched this issue some time ago.
I have been using 'Red Hi-temp RTV silicone instant gasket. It appears to adhere extremely well to surfaces, which is a prime consideration.
To ensure that as little corrosion as possible takes place, I pour a small qunatity of dewatering oil into the water outlet on the block before putting an FV back on the shelf after use.
Good luck with your rebuild.
Jeremy
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Taking a bath, very clean under all the muck
20210128_131421[1].jpg
20210128_134138[1].jpg
Comes apart easily when hot