new comer

You can talk about almost anything here

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Romainpek

new comer

Post by Romainpek »

Hello to all, I just wanted to introduce myself before harrassing you with my questions and boring you with my seagulls problems.

I'm French, I live in Saint Germain en Laye (west of Paris) and caught the Seagullite recently.

It had incubated during 10 years as it was in 2011 that I bought my first Seagull second hand from "le bon coin" (a kind of French ebay) but when I received the package at home, I stored it in my sailing club engine room and forgot all about it.

It's only in May 2021 that I picked it up, opened the carton (still wet from the 2018 Seine floods) and started playing with it.

It's a featherweight, serial F2368E9, from May 1969, that was fitted with a Siba recoil starter (that I removed). I cleaned it, changed a few gaskets and the spark plug and I kid you not, it started at the second pull to clean my rubbish bin... This video proves it, I didn't even know how to wrap the cord correctly.

I then managed to fit it on my boat and I performed a 4 km odyssey on the Seine River before I ran out of gas (I had barely a litre in the tank).

Maybe my boat is too heavy, and its transom too high, so after the trip, I thought that one horsepower was not enough and that the shaft was too short.

So on "Le Bon coin" again I bought in June two seagull century (because the guy did not want to sell them separately) and now I'm trying to make at least one working Century out of them two. Maybe two outboards if possible. So expect to see more posts from me in the Help section as they are in much worse condition than the featherweight...
Last edited by Romainpek on Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romainpek

Re: new comer

Post by Romainpek »

and I really don't know why my videos won't show...
andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew »

Welcome to the forum!

You won't be boring anyone here with seagull problems, quite the opposite.

RE the youtube links, you did it correctly using the YouTube button, but need to paste the link without the 's' in 'https', i.e. 'http' only. This is a known issue and we are working to fix, in the meantime dropping the 's' will suffice.
Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Thank you Andrew, I tried editing my links and it worked!
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Welcome to the forum, glad you got it going

I have a French Seagull :lol:
book.jpg
Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

Must be priceless !
Horsley-Anarak

Post by Horsley-Anarak »

Romainpek wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:27 am Must be priceless !
Not priceless, but it is unused and in box. Bought it off a guy who's father had bought it new in Brittany.
box.jpg
Romainpek

Post by Romainpek »

This Sunday, I brought my little Featherweight to the countryside and fitted it to a very small plastic boat.

The idea was to have fun and also to see if we could cut branches of fallen trees in the middle of the pound and then use the outboard to tow them back to shore

I went in the boat with a friend of mine. I'm not thin but he's even more strongly built, the boat was already close to capsizing before I started the engine. We did a few meters, then at full power, as the boat was heavier in front, we managed to go right below the surface and scoop a lot of water inside.

I cut the engine, we rowed ashore, emptied the boat, then it was decided I would have a second try, alone this time. My friend filmed this second trial, pleased to say that the Seagull worked perfectly