Comments on: If after all the initial preparation...

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

John@sos

Re: Comments on: If after all the initial preparation...

Post by John@sos »

Bet you forgot to do something, go back to square 1 and start again!
John
SOS
skyetoyman

Post by skyetoyman »

Pictures of coil and points etc showing where to test and what to expect would be handy
No change in multi meter reading - points open - points closed.
I assume that means a bad coil ?
LLS c 1961 on a crescent 42 boat c 1980 + wspcl c 1976 + 102 SD8561 c 1944 + 102 ACR 1948
Jim bow

Post by Jim bow »

skyetoyman wrote:Pictures of coil and points etc showing where to test and what to expect would be handy
No change in multi meter reading - points open - points closed.
I assume that means a bad coil ?
I second this request. I've got no spark!
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Hello all,

if there is no change in the LT resistance when points open or closed then there is a leak to earth .

This normally means a dead coil.

This applies to Villiers and Wipac coils. If the points are open there should be a resistance, below 2 Ohms, but a resistance.

However to double check, remove wire from Wipac LT terminal and try again, if you then get the 0.8 to 2 Ohm resistance, the coil is OK but there is a fault with the points and their insulation. Something is shorting out.... maybe a fibre washer missing...

With the Villiers ignitions it is not as easy to disconnect the wire, but it can be done.

I would suggest that any Villiers ignition now needs replacing anyway, especialy if you intend using it on any river with a flow or at sea. They have all long passed their 'crumble by' dates. They were insulate with shellac, which has biodegraded.

To be safe contact George at http://www.villiersparts.co.uk, he can refurbish a Villiers backplate with new parts for £75.00, price as of last week.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
John
SOS