Comments on: Tools required...

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

BrendanM

Comments on: Tools required...

Post by BrendanM »

Please use this thread to comment on the Tools required page...

Needs writing please!
one_riff_brian

Re: Comments on: Tools required...

Post by one_riff_brian »

One must have- a decent arsenal for tackling seized slot head screws. My heart sinks when I see them. At the very least, a couple of decent flat blade drivers, and ideally an impact driver.
If it moves and it shouldn't, use Gaffa tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40.
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Definitely an offset spanner. Particulary useful for inner driveshaft tube flange nut. (3/16W.1/4BS other end 1/4W.5/16BS)

1/4 Whitworth or 5/16BS (the same) ring spanner for century head bolts.

Set of other Whitworth spanners including large one for flywheel nut. Sparkplug socket. Range of slotted drivers. Feeler points gauge. Points file.

Vice/mole grips. Pliers including long nose. Butane torch. Rags. Punch. Hammer. Wire brush.

Workbench/vice. Industrial sink. Test bin.

others?
Attachments
offset spanner.JPG
offset spanner.JPG (21.51 KiB) Viewed 3629 times
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Compression tester? I don't have one though.
BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

Should we add emergency spares kit in here too? Like spare spark plug, spare drive spring etc.... any others?

Cheers,
Robin Anderson

Post by Robin Anderson »

Essential equipment when at sea must include a spare starting cord. My wee wifey was so excited when she managed to start my Seagull for her first time (more than a few decades ago this :shock: ) that she threw the starting cord overboard! That was nearly the end of our relationship I can tell you. It was a genuine Seagull cord with the nice round black plastic handle bit. Damn shame!
Another thing to carry on board is a small stainless steel edged thingy to open the air vent when one's handy wandies are cold and wet. (Keith Buzz will know the technical name for such a device. ) I use a large penny washer and as it has a nice hole in the middle I can tie it on somehwere to stop the memsab throwing it overboard as well.

Robin
"Pleiades of Birdham"
MXWQ5
Charles uk

Post by Charles uk »

I think you should show her how it feels to be in that situation, then she might develop some empathy with the jettisoned items.
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
BrendanM

Post by BrendanM »

I like this thread... next into The Guide... thanks guys!
John@sos

Post by John@sos »

Perhaps I should have an extra hole machined in the SOS multispanner next time! To tie it down with and not get in the way....

john
SOS
timer

Post by timer »

I find waterpump pliers very useful. petrol cap and thumbscrew, knurled nut top of throttle barrel for cleaning carb, carb bowl, spark plug, centre piece and jet, spark plug cap (screw to cable), split pin on propellor spring, oil drain plug these + a couple of spanners, screwdrivers, emery, broken feeler gauge and allen key seem todo me along with-

In waterproof bottle on boat. Plug, HT lead, throttle cable, bracket security bar (easy to drop), impeller (had one disintegrate), prop springs, washers split pins (friend ran me aground attempted to build underwater quarry)
petrol cap (I've lost one refuelling!), tilting hook(I've broken one by catching a mooring). Various fuel washers,
corks, oilseals
Nice to have coil. 2 or 3 spare starting cords always around. DO NOT MAKE TOO LONG - SERIOUS INJURY CAN RESULT - I've done this too and my hand looked like it had been through a mangle

I've done many repairs underway on beaches and jetties and so far have kept going Seagull 40 +

Oh and Johns phone number

Robert
Todd

Post by Todd »

Hugz wrote:Definitely an offset spanner. Particulary useful for inner driveshaft tube flange nut. (3/16W.1/4BS other end 1/4W.5/16BS)
S.O.S. John had these for sale for awhile as part of a tidy tool kit, but no longer. Is there another source, or does anyone have one they'd care to sell?

Todd
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

The correct terminology I believe is "obstruction" spanner. Occasionally come up on ebay.
david

Post by david »

On the subject of SWMBO chucking stuff overboard, there is still an engagement ring in the lagoon at Zaandam............
atoyot

Post by atoyot »

david wrote:On the subject of SWMBO chucking stuff overboard, there is still an engagement ring in the lagoon at Zaandam............
I didn't know that my favourite expression (a la Poirot) had been converted to an acronym for the internet! Thank you.
There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.
- Prof. Peter Drucker