"How to Set Up Your Workshop For Seagull Maintenance"

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Buzzook

"How to Set Up Your Workshop For Seagull Maintenance"

Post by Buzzook »

So we have a bit of a list of tools...can those who would like to contribute lists or ideas also include photos....

So we can put it together as a 'Pictorial Guide'.....

So here's Oyster's list again...

....what else is useful or necessary, and what are these things you refer to with such nonchalance that we beginners do not understand... :)

A good workbench with a heavy duty vice, with a set of removeable soft jaws.
A selection of spanners and sockets.
A blowtorch - So far a simple plumbers canister one has been enough for me. Go for a propane/butane mixed gas rather than just butane which does not burn so hot.
Engineers ball hammer, ally drift, tool steel punch, nylon mallet. Also a larger lump hammer.
Small and medium mole grips.
A cleaning set up - old washing up bowl you can parafin wash in.
Emery paper-medium and fine, wire wool, metal polish.
WD-40 and light machine oil, SAE140 & 90 oils.
Gasket paper, to make your own gaskets.
Feeler guages
Rotary wire brush - different sizes.

Consider getting a second hand bench drilling machine, if one turns up grab it, plus a selection of drills.
Bench grinder can be found very cheaply, always handy to have. Learn how to sharpen drills correctly. Not easy to start with :lol:

A 7/16 BSF die & die wrench to clean crankshaft threads - Always likely to be used.
gullible, a. The effect on reason of the appearance of anything 'Gull-related on an internet sales site
Hugz

Re: "How to Set Up Your Workshop For Seagull Maintenance"

Post by Hugz »

I've yet use a grinder on a motor. Do have a small angle grinder if required. I tend to swap parts over rather than rebuild old ones. I think the list of tools would be infinite. It depends on whether you intend to have a full scale seagull renovation enterprise or just keep your old faithful ticking along.

Edit: Might add that I find old filing cabinets great for keeping tools, parts etc. Keeps the workbench clear.
Attachments
workshop.JPG
mrford

Post by mrford »

OOooo I hate you I haven't seen the top of my bench for years !!! Guess just the product of my sick mind !!! One day SOON I will clean my bench . I have done many restoration projects . But my seagull was a gift from the god neptune . Its pretty and it ran after 2 pulls following your instructions . Thanks for all your help !!! VIC
Hugz

Post by Hugz »

Do you feel better now?
Attachments
Workbench.JPG
1650bullet

Post by 1650bullet »

A small 2hp air compresser with airline and air tool kit. inexpensive and small enough to hide under the bench. There is enough power to do any task on a seagull.Great for cleaning out the jets on carbys and unblocking cooling passages. Also comes in handy for pumping up the tyres on the boat trailer if they are low.
Attachments
LD250250-st.jpg
LD250250-st.jpg (80.83 KiB) Viewed 2236 times