A portuguese Seagull history

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Portuguese gull
A portuguese Seagull history

Post by Portuguese gull »

Good evening:

In one of those moments you wander around the Internet, I thought about searching the history of an outboard engine I have for more than 25 years. My father brought it home after the shipyard he worked for , for nearly 20 years went bust, and the permises were sold to propriety developers. He found a "strange old outboard engine" lying about under a working bench, and as the scrapmen were about scavenging everything, he decided to keep it, as it seemed rather peculiar and old. I was a little kid at the time, in the early 80,s, and lived in a flat. The only place found to store this Seagull outboard was...on top of my wardrobe!

...And there it stood for nearly 10 years!

When I was in the Airforce, I came across an inflatable dinghy, one of those used by the military to bring troops ashore during an invasion. I bought it as a military surplus. I thought to give it a go using the Seagull. It was completely dry, and I needed some petrol to put in it. "What petrol?"....The only information was a sticker saying in the tank "Oil Ratio 25:1"...What does this mean? Not a clue.... I used then the same mix I was using to my Vespa Scooter. I put it in a oil drum full of water, and gave it some push with a rope. Nothing.... The spark was very old, and I needed a new one. The trouble was, the spark looked very odd, too large compared with others. I finnaly found one from , i guess, a Ford Cortina or Taunus, and it sparked to life again ! The beautiful sound of a two stroke engine, and all that oil mix smoke...

I installed the Seagull in the dinghy, and obviously was to "tall"... I remedied it by fabricating a "plug" which I inserted in the Shaft column, bringing the propeller a bit "up" near the waterline. I runned this boat sucessfully ( Altough as not as fast as the military version that had a 100 HP "Johnson"...With the Seagull, the enemy would have time to put so much holes in the soldiers and the boat, that would look like a cheese grater...) for years and years until as recently as 2006. I was using it in the dam of Castelo de Bode ( Go have a look in the Google maps to admire such beautiful scenery), but increasing legislation against two strokes, and me not having the slightest form of "official" qualification to operate a boat, made me store it indefenately in a secure barn in Central Portugal.

Local portuguese fishermen often came to me saying " it is a remarkably reliable engine...but has a problem ! It scares the Tagus river fish!...".

I dont know when I will have the opportunity of ever go to the water with it. But as an engineer by trade, I appreciate so much this piece of british industry, that I decided to keep it the best I can, even as a decoration . For me, since my early years, this was indeed, "the best outboard of the World".

I just liked to shere this history with you. If you ever go to Portugal, please send me some email.

Transmig@gmail.com

All the best.

Miguel.