New member intro

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Dads40plus
New member intro

Post by Dads40plus »

Hello, following a recent call from a friend of mine from 20 years ago now got my dad's old forty plus back home, have identified its age and it's a 1973 forty plus. This is really fantastic news to have it back, we used to use it as a back up on a spare rescue boat years ago at a local ski lake and before that on little river trips with family around cornwall on holiday. I was young then!

Well after reading lots on this great forum and the SOS website I have had it running and it is real music hearing it running again, even more touching as I lost my dad 13 years ago to the dreaded C, now I can bring it back to life.

I plan to use it on a little zodiac tender that I use when my boats on a mooring to replace an overweight 4 hp 4 stroke suzuki.

Please see a picture, does it need to be deeper in the water to get the water to circulate through and out of the tell tale, didn't see anything out of the tell tale but didn't run it too long, was just relieved to hear it running again

More pictures to follow
Attachments
After a quick clean up
After a quick clean up
Keith.P

Re: New member intro

Post by Keith.P »

You would need it a little deeper,halfway between the gearbox clamp and the bottom on the transom would be a good starting point, try running it in the wheelie bin.
If you still don't get any water running, flush the water ways out with your hose, at the cylinder head end.
Its nice to see it come back home, so any help you need to keep her running, just ask in the forum and someone will point you in the right direction.
Dads40plus

Post by Dads40plus »

Thanks for the advice

Does this also look right, I wonder if my dad or previous owner added this jubilee clip to offer a higher mounting, cant see any other reason?, is this a popular mod, I am tempted to check it on the transom and if need be remove.

Any ideas anyone, thanks for reading
Attachments
image.jpg
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Its either for a little more high or, which is more likely, to increase the angle the motor will turn.
Dads40plus

Post by Dads40plus »

Keith.P wrote:You would need it a little deeper,halfway between the gearbox clamp and the bottom on the transom would be a good starting point, try running it in the wheelie bin.
If you still don't get any water running, flush the water ways out with your hose, at the cylinder head end.
Its nice to see it come back home, so any help you need to keep her running, just ask in the forum and someone will point you in the right direction.
Thanks for the advice, filled the wheelie bin quite high, removed the prop and weed remnants! from behind the prop and had the forty plus running sweet in the wheelie bin, pumping water spritely through the port.

Really pleased, can't wait to use it now.

Thanks again