Another new member saying "Hello".

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

johnnythejig

Another new member saying "Hello".

Post by johnnythejig »

Hello, I'm very happy to be here.
I have recently come into possession of, not one but, three lovely British Seagulls. Nearly a flock.
In reverse order; a 1969 Forty Minus (F1299A9), same age as the wife funnily enough, given to me by a friend when I mentioned that I'd always fancied a Seagull,
next, a pretty grotty 1963 Long shaft Century (CPC30416L), with clutch and a dodgy Hammerite paint job, dumped on the doorstep of my office by a disinterested party,
finally, a venerable 1946 102 series (AD340) with nipples! She came with my dream boat, an equally venerable 14' clinker built, sliding gunter rig beauty, locally made (Northern Ireland that is), similar to the RNSA 14.

I have never owned a Seagull, only aspired, in fact I have never worked on any engine, bar footering with the car, and, although fairly good with my hands, I'm not particularly mechanically minded - yet.

I am already indebted to John at SOS for his invaluable help, advice and mail-order service. Bloody good chap, if I may say so.

With prompt and friendly replies to my badgering emails, John has already given me the confidence to fire up the Forty Minus, on the first pull, after five or six years and tonight I got the Century flying after perhaps twenty or more years laying dormant, albeit I now have a right arm equal in size to any about to do battle at Wimbledon soon!

Initial success has made me eager to learn more about these wonderful machines and rather than rely solely on John's good-nature, it would be great if I may fathom the depths of the pool of collective knowledge here on this forum. Perhaps one day I may even be able to pass some of it on to someone else.

I have questions. I will endeavor not to bombard you with them, nor to be as long winded as this intro, but I have questions.
For example; will I ever get used to all my food and drink tasting of petrol from here on in? Will my wife ever talk to me again? Will I be able to hear her even if she does? What sort of shed should I be contemplating?

Seriously though, thanks for having me and I'll post my queries in the General and Help pages.

Cheers
Johnny Patterson
Davy

Re: Another new member saying "Hello".

Post by Davy »

Hi Johnny, welcome to the forum! I have only recently joined myself and the excellent advice here has enabled me to get 2 of my 3 Seagulls up and running already.
In response to the questions at the end of your post - I have pondered over the answers to those for many hours and come up with nothing, except; perhaps my 8'x10' shed may be a little small!! :)
All the best with your motors.
Davy
johnnythejig

Re: Another new member saying "Hello".

Post by johnnythejig »

Cheers Davy, thanks for the reply.
What type of engines do you have?