First time 40 plus owner

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

Tanzer22

First time 40 plus owner

Post by Tanzer22 »

Hi there everyone!
I just was given a 1972 40 plus and thought I would join this forum to learn.
The engine was given to me by a guy that I work with. It was at his family cottage since new.
They just sold the cottage this month and hadn't used the engine in about 20 years.
I set it in a barrel, filled the tank with a fresh fuel mix and gave it a pull. Well it was more like 25 pulls. I pulled the plug and checked for a spark, no spark. Put a drill on the flywheel nut a spun it up for about three minutes and still no spark.
So I cleaned the points. Put the plug back in and it fired on the first pull and has started and runs great with every pull.

Put new oil in the case painted the flywheel and one its all ready to go on my sons inflatable Zodiac.

Glen in Ontario Canada on Giorgian Bay.
THCL500J8

Re: First time 40 plus owner

Post by THCL500J8 »

Welcome to the group.

You have a very interesting mounting bracket.
TC - 1960 LLS - 1961 LLS - 1966 THCL - 1968 EFNRL - 1986
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Your first seagull, very tidy job, but not your first outing by the looks of things, obviously the wrong transom, that looks Jo/Ev related, You should get a transom for it if you can.
Tanzer22

Post by Tanzer22 »

Thanks guys.
Yup the mounting bracket is from a green 1950s Johnson Seahorse, that is no more.
I sandblasted it and clear powder coated it.
John from SoS has used mounts, but told me it would cost as much in postage to Canada as the part, some 20 odd pounds or more for shipping.
Ordered a spare prop spring, a 25:1 needle and a new tank sticker.
Planning on stripping the tank filling the dents with lead and powder coating the tank in gloss black.

I cant find straight 140 gear oil here yet they have it in the states.

Glen