We have a Seagull Outboard

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

awhitecat

Re: We have a Seagull Outboard

Post by awhitecat »

I plan to change the gearbox oil when my oils arrive. What is the best way to do this? Should I take the aft cover completely off the gearbox? I'm getting the impression that to refill the gearbox, I have the motor upright and I fill the gearbox till it is level with the big plastic bung/nut. Is this correct?

Thank you.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

I have never removed a prop myself, some do, its supposed to help the water pump to work, less turbulent water.
The only problem with that is you will have less control of the engine speed and you can easily over rev the engine which may do damage.
Keep the prop on, I will see if I have a washer if it helps.
You are correct, Just fill when upright using the bung.
awhitecat

Gear Box Oil Change

Post by awhitecat »

Yesterday my two oils arrived. I turned the horizontal Seagull onto its back. I put an empty container underneath and undid the plastic bung.

The temperature is fairly cool here, however I wouldn't describe it as cold. I guess the viscosity looks about right. The colour of the oil/water mix looks like coffee as others describe it on the Forum. From what I can gather it has been almost thirty years since this motor was used.

This is how much oil I eventually got out.

Is this about the oil quantity I should expect? Does anybody know the oil capacity of the gearbox? Should I attempt to flush it out? I put the motor in the upright position again and shall use an oil can to fill till oil runs out the bung. As a matter of interest, with the motor clamped to a horizontal board in my vice, the drive shaft and gearbox are not vertical but canted aft slightly.

Thanks for the Help
Last edited by awhitecat on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

As you have the box open, it would be a good idea to flush the gearbox out before you refill, loosen off your transom screws if it helps to get the motor in a more vertical position when you refill.