We have a Seagull Outboard

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

awhitecat

We have a Seagull Outboard

Post by awhitecat »

We have a Seagull Outboard. It seems to have been stored carefully in an upright position and wrapped in burlap. It looks like this Image

It has the Serial # GFP1396GG7.

From this Forum, we think that means it was made in 1977. At some stage in the next few weeks we shall try to run it. Is there an exploded parts diagram somewhere on this Forum?

Thank you for your help.

Mike.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

What are the sizes of Whitworth spanners/sockets, we require for working on a Seagull Engine from 1977? Another website on Seagulls, recommends 3/8", 1/4, 5/15 Whitworth. Would this be correct?

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by awhitecat on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keith.P

Re: We have a Seagull Outboard

Post by Keith.P »

3/16, 1/2 whit will do most of it.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

Thank you for that, Keith

Regards, Mike
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

I shall order a new spark plug today. The Champion D-16 looks like it. However I have seen online that the Champion D-9 is better for less maintenance and better running. Is this correct for my GFP1396GG7. Could I have some help on that, please?

Mike
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Mike, as its a modern seagull so to speak, a D16 will do fine, the motor looks to be in good condition, Just go though the basics, clean and check points, plug, oil, fuel.
John, the patron of this site will supply all you parts, http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/faq2.html

Keith.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

This is our Transom Bracket (Mount? What term do most people use?). Is there anything missing?

Does anybody have a photograph or diagram showing clearly where the Transom Bracket fits and how the Seagull motor tilts etc?

Thank you for your help.

Mike
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Like this.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

Thanks for that again, Keith. So now I have it clamped to a piece of timber in my vice. Makes it easier for working on. Do these engines mind lying down? Do they leak if they are lying down? I know some outboards can only lay down on one side.

I've pulled the spark plug. It seems to be a Champion 8 COM.

The forum seems to say that these are no longer generally available. I hadn't seen the side Ground Electrode before.

I've been squirting homemade WD40 all over the engine and every bolt/nut/etc. with the plug out the engine seems to turn over ok. I guess I need to get the magneto cover off now.

I presume I need to jam the prop with a piece of timber whilst undoing the large nut on the top? I need to work out how to drain the gearbox oil.

Thanks again for the help.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Give the plug a good clean, pull apart of you can, don't jam the prop, just use a ring spanner and a soft hammer, the nut is not usually a problem, but removing the flywheel can be, but you shouldn't need to.
Lay it down if you need to, that's not a problem, you can loose gearbox oil on worn motors, but that's about it.
Spark plugs, some of us collect them.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

Ok, I shall try dismantling the Champion 8 COM. I presume you lock the outer part with a spanner then turn the inner part with another. I have had it soaking overnight in kerosine.

I have undone the fuel tank cap. Does the tank breathe through the top slotted fitting? Or is that just to hold the retaining chain on? After undoing the fuel line, what is the best way to get the tank off?
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

I haven't had that successful a morning. I haven't managed to dismantle the Champion 8 COM. It's still soaking anyway.

I removed the fuel tank. It did have some fairly black sludge in it!

I cannot undo the Fuel Tank Drain (3/16 Whitworth). I have no Whitworth sockets - this is 2015! Only metric sockets. I do not want to burr the nut. I presume it's brass?

I cannot undo the Fuel Cock (the knurled knob). It turns minutely. What is the small screw next to it? I'm leaving everything to soak.

Once again, I cannot undo the large nut on the Magneo Cover. I do not have a Whitworth ring spanner for this. I tried putting a large shifter on it and giving it a sharp blow. No results. Any more violence and I shall burr the large nut. More spray of homemade penetrating/lubricating fluid. I shall let it think a while

Thanks for the help. Mike.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The fuel Tank drain is not a tank drain, its a universal tank, the fuel tap can be mounted either side depending on the carburettor location.
I think you need some new old spanners first?
Remove fuel tap before cleaning out tank, it has a filter that can early get damaged and yes screw out the screw on the fuel cap to allow the tank to breath.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

You are right, Keith. Trying to work on this Seagull with two open-ended Whitworth spanners and a shifter isn't going to work. I've ordered a combination set of Whitworth 1/8" 3/16" 1/4" 5/16" 3/8" 7/16" 1/2" 9/16". Not the best quality, however we shall see.

So the nut at the other end of the fuel tank from the fuel feed isn't a drain? Oh, well. I'm learning. I shall have a look at removing the fuel tap from the tank. With the tank upside down, does the fuel tap just unscrew out of the tank?

Thank you for your help. Mike.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

does the fuel tap just unscrew out of the tank?
Yes and it has a filter at the carb end, but I think that end has a tendency to be fragile, I don't play with seagulls after the 50's normally.

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/faq/amal_carb.htm