We have a Seagull Outboard

Please post comments, suggestions and articles for inclusion in The Guide here... they will be reviewed by the team and used to build up The Guide itself

Moderators: John@sos, charlesp, Charles uk, RickUK, Petergalileo

awhitecat

Re: We have a Seagull Outboard

Post by awhitecat »

Thanks, Keith. I managed to unscrew the Fuel Cock from the tank after leaving it soaked in kerosine overnight.

There is the In Tank Filter that you mentioned. Does it slip out of the Fuel Cock? It looks clean enough anyway.

The Fuel Cock has written on it PULL ON. This one is not pulling! Any ideas? What does the screw near the Pull On do? I've put the Fuel Cock back in to soak now.

My Whitworth combination spanners have been despatched. I'm hoping they shall arrive tomorrow.

The last time I saw a two-part spark plug was in a Beaver during the '70's.

Mike.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

The fuel filter is soldered on, the fuel tap may need a little persuasion, it should just pull out, old fuel has locked it in place.
The little screw on the side will let you remove the fuel tap plunger completely, if you have to replace the cork inside, but I would free it up and put it back in soak, as they leak if the cork gets dry.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

Ok, so I removed the screw and placed it in a Zip-Loc bag.

The tap/knob turns freely, however it does not pull out.

I shall soak it some more.

Mike
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

Ok, the Fuel Tap Plunger is out now.

Everything looks ok. I shall give it a wash and reassemble it all. With the plunger out, I can now blow through the Tap assembly.

Is the Cork Washer the surround at the end of the plunger?

Mike.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Is the Cork Washer the surround at the end of the plunger?
Yes, that's it.
So far so good.
No not tea, definitely not tea.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

So the Fuel Cock is now reinstalled in the tank. The tap pulls ON and pushes OFF. I have had a look inside the tank. It's not great, however I've seen worse. I've put some kerosine in it and it can have a sit till I empty that and put the oil/petrol mix (1:25?) in. How do people work out the quantities?

The carburettor next? Maybe the Gear Box?

Newcastle Brown Ale? Image

Mike
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Do a 20:1 mix first as its not run for some time, mixing fuel, you usually get a mark on the side of the bottle, or use a measuring bottle.
Sorry I don't drink. :shock:
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

I guess I shall try mixing it in a large lemonade bottle or something similar. How many litres do these tanks hold?

I was looking at the prop etc.

How do I get the old oil out and the new oil in? Do I wash the gearbox out once I have the old oil out? How much oil does the gearbox take?

Thanks for your help. Mike
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Your tank, I would say about 2.27 litres.

image.jpg3_zpsd2bzhm25.jpg
Its made of nylon and a pain sometimes to undo, use the edge of something, like an old bicycle spanner, fill oil level with the hole, with motor standing.
You can wash it out if you want to, it is supposed to mix with water and look that colour, but any lumps are usually salt crystals and need to be removed, usually found in older motors run in the sea.
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

My Whitworth combination spanners arrived today. I put the old plug back in and used the 1/2 Whitworth spanner to undo the large domed nut. I've put the nut and the black plastic cover to one side. I presume I leave the bronze coloured flywheel on and set the points through the rectangular hole? Do I need to worry about Top Dead Centre?

The Gearbox Refill Plug undid without any trouble. Do I just turn it upside down and let the old oil runout? It looks seriously easy to cross thread that plastic plug on putting it back in.

Should I be doing anything with the carburettor?

Mike
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

Points are accessed through the flywheel, It maybe more troublesome to remove it and you can get to the points just as well with the wheel on.
with points open, set to .020in or 0.5mm, clean with Emery paper first, as you may not need to adjust.
I need to worry about Top Dead Centre?
No.
The Gearbox Refill Plug, I don't like them, older models had brass ones.
Should I be doing anything with the carburettor?
If the plastic fuel bowl unscrews, clean and replace, the end of the fuel line that enters the side of the carburettor, (round plastic part, one screw) has a filter behind it, BUT, it has a habit of breaking and I don't think its available any more, so go gentle with the carb.
chaldon3

Post by chaldon3 »

hi mike keep the updates coming. with my very limited knowledge of seagulls i find it helpful and interesting.
also thanks Keith.
the animals are winding me up
awhitecat

Post by awhitecat »

Is this oil suitable for mixing with unleaded for our Seagull?

Is this Gear Oil suitable for use in our Seagulls Gear Box?

They both cost £7.49 delivered to Derby. I have not found any stockists in Derby. The Sawley Marina Chandlery just laughed when I asked about two-stroke fuel and gear box oil there. If anybody knows of a stockist in Derby or the surrounding area, I would love to be advised.

Thank you. Mike.
Keith.P

Post by Keith.P »

John on this site has all the oils, http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/bu ... spares.htm
But what you have will do the job.
Collector Inspector

Post by Collector Inspector »

awhitecat wrote:So the Fuel Cock is now reinstalled in the tank. The tap pulls ON and pushes OFF. I have had a look inside the tank. It's not great, however I've seen worse. I've put some kerosine in it and it can have a sit till I empty that and put the oil/petrol mix (1:25?) in. How do people work out the quantities?

The carburettor next? Maybe the Gear Box?

Newcastle Brown Ale? Image

Mike
AU$55.00 a carton.........goes very well with any Gull aye!

B
A chicken is one egg's way of becoming others